dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Re: 2-up on a 750

#11 Unread post by dr_bar »

sunshine229 wrote:Hmmm... a 750 should be easily good enough for two people... When I started on the back of Mike's bike he had an old 550 (1978) and although it wasn't stellar it was fine. His next bike was an early 80's 650 and it was much better. His V-strom 650 was awesome two-up. I would expect that a modern 750 like yours should be okay.

I've never doubled anyone but I would assum that riding alone and riding two-up would make the bike seem like two completely different bikes.

Two scrawny kids like you and Mike would do well on a 125....

Me, I need the left bank of my V4 just to get me rollin', never mind up to speed... I think I outweigh the two of you put together. LOL

(And just incase you don't believe me, I'm DOWN to 273lb from 285lb...)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#12 Unread post by Wrider »

Meh Doc when we met in person I was at 320. I'm now down to your previous weight haha.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by sunshine229 »

dr_bar wrote:
sunshine229 wrote:Hmmm... a 750 should be easily good enough for two people... When I started on the back of Mike's bike he had an old 550 (1978) and although it wasn't stellar it was fine. His next bike was an early 80's 650 and it was much better. His V-strom 650 was awesome two-up. I would expect that a modern 750 like yours should be okay.

I've never doubled anyone but I would assum that riding alone and riding two-up would make the bike seem like two completely different bikes.

Two scrawny kids like you and Mike would do well on a 125....

Me, I need the left bank of my V4 just to get me rollin', never mind up to speed... I think I outweigh the two of you put together. LOL

(And just incase you don't believe me, I'm DOWN to 273lb from 285lb...)
:blushing:
Andrea :sun:

noobie
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit

#14 Unread post by noobie »

Yo thanks everyone!
I made the adjustment to my shocks and then rode for a bit to see if it made much of a difference (one up). I didn't notice it. I think I'll leave the shocks set for 2-up - so that way I can take a passenger whenever I feel like it :)
The adjustment wasn't difficult, but I had to remove my saddle-bags and that was more of a pain-in-the-arse!
I still haven't checked it out with two people yet - maybe this weekend!
@sunshine229 for-sure, it acts like Eeyore (Pooh reference) with a second passenger. I'm sure it'll just take some getting used to :P

Peace Out
Noobie

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#15 Unread post by agraebner »

Half of the miles on my VLX deluxe (600cc) have been riding two up and I cant say I have ever had a problem. I weigh about 220lbs and tend to have ridden with women LARGER than myself. Insert jokes here If you must_______________________ I have ridden short distances knowing i was severally overloaded just so people could see what it was like on a motorcycle. Once again I have never felt that I didn't have enough power or braking. It is unquestionable that you are cutting the power to weight ratio in half and you will feel that. Make sure your maintenance is up to date and have fun.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

#16 Unread post by spydercanopus »

More weight needs more throttle. Don't be afraid to give it some gas, just keep your clutch under control. Higher octane gas may also help.

As for stopping being heavy... I figure a tighter suspension setting would help a bit. If your hands and wrists are hurting from the added weight pushed into them, get some larger hand grips or a cover. More surface area should be more comfortable.