Do you shop at Local or Internet Businesses?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: Do you shop at Local or Internet Businesses?

#11 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Anything that needs to fit...I buy locally....easier to try on at the store and know for sure it's the right jacket, helmet, pants, boots, gloves, etc.....

I bought camera batteries online from ebay though....almost $100. for battery at the store...but less than $20. with shipping online...

I buy very little online.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#12 Unread post by madjak30 »

My opinion on this is changing...I used to faithfully buy locally, try to support...but the service just isn't there to justify the expense...and sometimes it takes twice as long for the local guy to get stuff in than online...I understand that they can't carry everything, but they should go out of their way to make sure they can get things in a timely manor...

Tires for my bike, for example...local shop wanted $640 plus tax & install ($35 per tire) to get the "smokin' deal" that he was giving me...was going to take two weeks to get in...I went online $487 including taxes & five working days...same tires...so I searched online and found out how easy it is to install tires...so I saved over $200 and now have the knowlege to do the tires myself...but there is just less hassle when it is sent directly to you...I think the only time I will still go into a store is for clothing, and that may eventually change as well...

Next Christmas all shopping is getting done online...eff the effin stores and idiot shoppers...I don't like shopping at the best of times, but Xmas shopping is mentally challenged!!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#13 Unread post by dr_bar »

I hear too often, people going to the local shop, wasting the time of the sales person, trying on everything in the store and then going home to make the purchase online because now they know the right size. If everyone did this, those local stores would cease to exist.

If I'm shopping for an item that's not carried locally, I'll ask how long to get it in before deciding to shop online. My local Yamaha parts person will often tell me to hit the Internet to save myself some cash when it's for something they don't stock, or she feels it's just way over priced in the store. If I take a lot of her time trying things on, if it fits and I have the cash, it goes home with me... The joy with G.A. Checkpoint, is that they are strictly a Yamaha dealer, they may order other parts in, but they are able to stock a lot more of the common parts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#14 Unread post by Wrider »

Personally I've noticed that unless it's not stocked (like Dr. Bar said) the prices have equaled out. I was shopping for a new helmet the other day (ended up with an EXO 500), and prices were dead equal online and in store, so I bought in store. I have no objection to buying online, as long as the local stores get their share too.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#15 Unread post by madjak30 »

Nothing...and I mean NOTHING is in stock for my bike...just not enough sold to make it worth their while...don't blame them...but I will be ordering the parts through the Yamaha dealer...it's cheaper to go after market, except I would have to replace both forks (kinda puts an end to cheaper when you need to buy two)...and I agree, if the parts are in stock (or even just a day or two away) and the price is close, I will support the shop...but if the price is almost double, sorry...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#16 Unread post by Wrider »

madjak30 wrote:Nothing...and I mean NOTHING is in stock for my bike...just not enough sold to make it worth their while...don't blame them...but I will be ordering the parts through the Yamaha dealer...it's cheaper to go after market, except I would have to replace both forks (kinda puts an end to cheaper when you need to buy two)...and I agree, if the parts are in stock (or even just a day or two away) and the price is close, I will support the shop...but if the price is almost double, sorry...

Later.
That's not true! I'm sure they have tires and an oil filter for you! :lol:

I agree with the "doubled price" though, definitely not worth it in that case. But if it's within 10 percent I'll usually go for it, saves time, hassle, and helps out the local shops.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

IntoTheWind
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 37
My Motorcycle: '08 GL1800

#17 Unread post by IntoTheWind »

This all depends if the local business supports me. Do they keep my hours, or do I have to take time off work to go there? Do they have anything that fits? More often than not - they don't. Do they have the product I want? I can order off the internet, I don't need them for that. Locally? What's that? Within 10 miles ... 20 miles ... 30 miles? Then when I do look around, most of it is cheap chinese junk - selling for a high price.

So, do I shop local? Less and less every year.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#18 Unread post by mogster »

My most recent purchases (last month) were leather trousers (with armour) +kevlar jeans.

I researched brands, prices & sizes online.

I then went to a couple of big name bike stores & had 2 very different experiences:

1/ He*******ke - absolutely appalling "service". I was reluctantly served & offered 3 pairs of leathers despite 2 of them being about £100 more than my stated budget. I was left to carry all 3 pairs to the changing room (quite a heavy load) & after trying them on was offered no advice or help - just buy some or not basically. No offer to check stock lines, just come back in a few weeks - I won't! :rant:

2/ Y***ha - nothing to suit me but the assistant broke away from a £500 sale to offer assistance & apologise for wait. He kindly looked through numerous catalogues & offered to order in for me. He also suggested I check out the brand online as I might get a better deal.

I then went to my favourite local dealer. The boss was busy with paperwork but said hi & I was immediately offered help by his assistant. I tried on quite a few pairs but nothing quite suited. The boss even phoned a supplier who had recently bought a huge stock from a liquidated giant (G**** W****) to see if he had anything. When this failed they suggested I visit another small rival business locally.

So off I went down the road. Here I managed to find 3 pairs that suited! After some negotiations I bought leather + a pair of kevlar jeans saving a total of £70 from the ticket prices! :D

So YES I will continue to shop locally. I could have spent a lot of money online & not been happy with the sizing. That said as a research tool the tinternet is very useful.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#19 Unread post by pchast »

Locally whenever possible. On line almost 75%
of the time now.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L