Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Re: If Only.................

#11 Unread post by mogster »

I did wonder who would bite on the parochial bait first :lol:

The thread was intended as an ultimate "not likely" challenge, hence I named different continents.

Since the glove has been thrown down may I retort with - our island is indeed tiny compared to your vast glorious landscapes, but by the time we have read the histories, visited the Cathedrals; castles; standing stones & Roman ruins, + some quite pretty scenery, you guys will probably have done that coast to coast run & back again! :lol:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#12 Unread post by madjak30 »

You definitely win in the historic destination category...I'll be happy to just tour in British Columbia, there's a reason their license plate says "Beautiful British Columbia"...my dad calls it "God's Country"...but the rest of the country calls it B.C. ~ Bring Cash ~ higher taxes and cost of living keep it a vacation destination for me...ask the guys what they pay for insurance alone...never mind what they pay for fuel prices (I know, still cheap compared to over there...but we have the oil here in our country...)

If I was asked where and cost wasn't a concern...I'd still pick a Canadian destination...you have to remember it is farther to ride to St. John's, Newfoundland than it is to ride to Miami, Florida...6209kms vs 4918kms...even riding to Cancun, Mexico is only an extra 42kms at 6251kms...there is just so much to see here, and the scenery is just as spectacular as anywhere in the world ~ ANYWHERE ~ and the States is the same...but we are the "New World", so ours is recent history compared to yours and the rest of Europe...it would be cool to say that I've been there...but if I'm gonna travel like that, sorry but I would go to Australia...the other side of the world from me would be interesting, or South America...but I'm a bit of a chicken (and did I mention that I am cheap?)...and the expense of travel would be a detracting factor as well...

I'm not trying to be contrary, just saying that I am quite happy that I was born here :canada: ...that's all... :beer:

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#13 Unread post by mogster »

To be honest the vastness of your continent & distances is probably quite intimidating to us Europeans but I love looking at all the photos you guys post of your beautiful country. I wonder if the equal hugeness of Australia is part of the appeal? :?

If we are now allowed to be a little partisan :lol: my dream is to ride the coastline of Scotland including the many islands (total 7,332m/11,800km). Of course it wouldn't be entirely possible as many areas have no road access but it would be fun to do as much as possible. Also I do want to finish the Irish coast having done about 2/3 so far.

I am much more drawn to to seascapes + mountains (typical of western Scotland) than to traversing a huge area..............but of course you guys have lakes that probably look like the sea.

As far as North America goes the only area I have on my wishlist to date is the Rockies. I have always thought the trip should be done by train but maybe I should reconsider & plan a bike trip? :?

When I win the lottery :lol: I will give you guys a call & pop over :D
MOG

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#14 Unread post by madjak30 »

What? these old things...

Then there is the other extreme...and these pictures are only 270kms apart...

The first four pics are from the Icefield Parkway, which is a road between Banff Alberta & Jasper Alberta which are in the Rockies...the last four were from between Sylvan Lake & Gull Lake, about 15 mins from my house...I'll have to get some nice summer pics of the lakes this riding season...but here is my favourite Sylvan Lake Shot from last year...

Later.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#15 Unread post by dr_bar »

Just south of BC in Washington state...
dry falls wa.jpg
dry falls wa.jpg (79.94 KiB) Viewed 9690 times
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#16 Unread post by mogster »

Fab! :clapping:

Got to go to work now (nightshift), see you later :D
MOG

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#17 Unread post by dr_bar »

One thing in common is very obvious, these are all pictures of Vancouver...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#18 Unread post by jstark47 »

dr_bar wrote:One thing in common is very obvious, these are all pictures of Vancouver...
Obvious? That y'all built the city on the only piece of flat ground around for miles??? :confused:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#19 Unread post by madjak30 »

Yup...mountains start at the edge of town (actually within the city...Maple Ridge, Capilano, North Van, Langley, Burnaby) and continue until you hit the prairies...that's why it is such great motorcycle territory...Greater Vancouver area must be getting close to 4 million people now?? you can keep the city, but I'll still ride the interior!! Kootenays and Okanagan, heaven for motorcycles!!

Later.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#20 Unread post by High_Side »

I live next to, and play in the Rockies all of the time. But as much as there is to see in Canada, I love to ride in other countries. I've been to England but never managed to escape the gatsos and dense traffic of the south (and I was in a terrible French rental car). But I can't wait to ride the UK - all of it, particularly Scotland at my first opportunity.

So many roads, so little time....