VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

any avid shooters here? (guns)

#1 Unread post by VermilionX » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 am

i have a kimber eclipse target II .45 ACP for about 10 years now. i love it but it's so damn expensive to shoot nowadays. avg 20$/ 50 rounds.

im thinking of getting a .22 long rifle.

the one that i have my eyes set on is the savage arms mkII TR and i will of course need a scope. i know i don't need a bipod but i would like get one as well. the reviews on it are great.

i plan to just use it for plinking and shoot at 150-200 yards.

what do you guys think? any other ones i should look for? i wanna stick to the tactical style though.

thanks.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: any avid shooters here? (guns)

#2 Unread post by Johnj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:25 am

VermilionX wrote: the one that i have my eyes set on is the savage arms mkII TR and i will of course need a scope. i know i don't need a bipod but i would like get one as well. the reviews on it are great.

i plan to just use it for plinking and shoot at 150-200 yards.
Your going tactical for plinking at 150 - 200 yards? I have an old Springfield Model 84C with an old time Mark 1 Iron Eyeball that do that job.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#3 Unread post by fireguzzi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:44 am

Ruger 10/22 with a target barrel and tactical stock? So many options for that gun it's ridiculous. You could make just abuot any configuration you could dream of. Can be a very capable gun if you like to customize them. Even though a stock 10/22 would be fairly capable a little ways beyond 100 yds. My marlin models 60 is pretty capable at about 100yds too. (My local gun range only has a 115 yard range) It's got a inexpensive bushnell scope and a bipod. It's got a a tactical paint job if you want to call it that. My son hit a 4 inch target that was all they way against the back stop at the 115 yd range with it. I think it could get a little further with some accuracy still left. Lots of AR style options have come out in.22lr lately too. No idea about accuracy at a distance for those but they sure are tacticool. :mrgreen:
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#4 Unread post by VermilionX » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 am

cool. i was aiming for 300 yards but i thought that was a little too ambitious for a .22LR that doesn't cost thousands of dollars.

but yeah. i really would like go with a tactical.

i had a chance to buy a good condition used .22 LR AR + scope but i would only buy one .22LR and if it's only one... then i have to go with a bolt action tactical.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:06 am

Eh... 300 yards is a bit far for a .22 IMO. I'm sure it can do it, but because of how light the bullet is, it's going to start losing accuracy right around the 150 yd mark.
Like FG said, the 10/22 has so many options it's unreal. You can easily sink 2 or 3k into one customizing it.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#6 Unread post by fireguzzi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:50 pm

The Marlin XT 22 looks like a nice rifle thats bolt action. Comes in a few different trims and will shoot .22 l, lr, and short. The savage looks good too.
No personal experience with them though. I got a JC higgens bolt action single shot that you could buy. It's only about 60 years old and Shoots like a dream. lol

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#7 Unread post by VermilionX » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:36 pm

That's the thing too.

I want something good out of the box already. Which is what i read about the savage arms mkII TR.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#8 Unread post by fireguzzi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:33 pm

You ever watch nutnfancy on youtube? He has loads of reviews on guns and a whole lot of them are on .22's. Might want to check him out if you are still trying to decide. He seems to do pretty thorough testing.

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#9 Unread post by VermilionX » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:58 pm

fireguzzi wrote:You ever watch nutnfancy on youtube? He has loads of reviews on guns and a whole lot of them are on .22's. Might want to check him out if you are still trying to decide. He seems to do pretty thorough testing.
Kewl. Ill check it out.

Im also in the fence bec im also in the market for a cycling gps and don't wanna buy both at the same time.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Wrider » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:47 pm

My vote? Check out the basic .22s and go from there. $200 will get you a decent .22 and a box of over 500 rounds. Plus most have an aftermarket so if you decide you want to modify the gun, it won't break the bank and you can still do it for relatively cheaply.
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 pm

I'll be looking at buying a gun here in Texas for target/range shooting. Something like a 22 or such.
NEW 2021 Motorcycle Model Guides
2020 Motorcycle Model Guides
2019 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#12 Unread post by Wrider » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Lord knows there's plenty of .22s to choose from! Mossberg, Ruger, Marlin are all big names in little .22s.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#13 Unread post by fireguzzi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:16 am

My favorite .22 right now is my dads ruger MKIII hunter. That is the nicest pistol I have ever shot. If you want a fun accurate pistol right out of the box that is it. There is a little bit of travel in the trigger before it breaks but when it breaks it is smooth as glass. Love it. And like the 10/22 there are a lot of aftermarket parts available.

NorthernPete
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#14 Unread post by NorthernPete » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 am

I'm always amazed when I go to the states and walk into the gander mountain or Diks sporting goods and see the gun section. I never saw actual automatic weapons (or at least they look like them) and case of handguns before. Lol. I love the gun shop ib my town bit it isn't even close. Lol. Ben of the owner has a WWII anti aircraft machine gun set up in the store. Lol.
1988 VN1500

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:19 pm

There seems to be a lot of little gun stores here in Houston, TX so finding one shouldn't be an issue. I just have to visit a gun range to find out what type of license (if any) I need for a rifle. I'm thinking you don't need one in Texas, but can that be true?

I really like the .303 bolt-action and 7.62mm FNC1A1 I shot in the Army, but looking on Bass Pro Shops site, ammo for a .303 is a little over $1.50 a round... ouch

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#16 Unread post by fireguzzi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:16 pm

In Ga all you have to do is pass a background check. I believe Texas is the same. I believe... If you want to carry a firearm in public, concealed or not, you have to get a state firearms license. But if you are on your own property or in your car you can carry concealed or not all you want to without one. The state license will also make you able to skip the background check. Again, Texas is most likely very similar. But as for long guns all ya need is to pass the background check. Obviously one would check on that to make sure.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#17 Unread post by Wrider » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:27 pm

1. No licenses needed for rifles in TX. You don't need any licenses to own long guns (rifles and shotguns) or handguns. The only reasons you'll need a license involving guns down there is if you plan on carrying concealed, you plan on hunting with it, or you plan on getting something fully automatic. (That's a Federal thing, very expensive, lots of background checks, and fully auto weapons are very expensive.) Oh and handgun wise you are no longer limited to something with a 4.2 inch (105 mm) or longer barrel like you were in Canada.

Like FG said, you do need to pass a background check, which is complicated by the fact you're not citizens (I'll check the requirements, but I think you have to be in the country for 6 months before you can buy one), but overall, no felonies, and no violent/domestic abuse misdemeanors and you're fine.

Oh FG, you can skip the background check if you have a CCW in GA? CO they don't allow that, it's every firearm sale, bar none.

FWIW as far as I know, the only states that require you to have a license for long guns are in the Northeast part of the country.

2. .303 is the old British round from WWI and WWII, and typically not a very popular round over here in the States, so yeah it's pretty expensive to find. If you think that's bad though, look up some .50 BMG haha ($3 per round is the cheapest I've ever seen it). The 7.62 is also a fairly large round (.308 equivalent). If you're looking for something that's cheap to shoot, you can't beat a .22. Plus it's accurate and if you decide to take up hunting, it's a good small game gun.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks guys for the information! It would be good to get back into range shooting again, although, I wasn't the best at it in my platoon but it was fun. :D

Other than a .22, what would be the next larger caliber that's inexpensive on ammo?

Mike

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#19 Unread post by Wrider » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:57 pm

.223 is still relatively cheap. Any bigger than that and you're entering $.75 per shot range. My .270 is around 20 rounds for 19 bucks. And trust me you dont want to shoot it all day!

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#20 Unread post by VermilionX » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Haha

I thought bout buying a mosin nagant. The ammo for it is also expensive..bout 1$ per shot

But i did find a online store that sells bulgarian surplus ammo. Bout. 18cents/shot. They just said that it's corrosive and you should clean your gun same day.

Actually... i might still do this later since mosin nagants are cheap anyway.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer