"permanent" anti-freeze

Dunolde
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

"permanent" anti-freeze

#1 Unread post by Dunolde »

Along the "fluids" line. I want to put new coolant/antifreeze in my Vulcan 500. I really don't believe the previous owners ever replaced it and I want to be sure to get the engine through the NE winter. There seems to be no drain plug, and the manual says to let the dealer do it. I can't see that it's that big a deal but wanted some advice before I go ahead. Any tricks or techniques I should know about? I guess air bubbles in the system would not be a good thing.
Anybody? TIA

Or can I trust that the "permanent" coolant/antifreeze installed by the manufacturer is, indeed permanent?
dp
(newbie)
'04 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
'03 Suzuki Volusia as of 2/28/'09

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by mgdavis »

There's no drain at the bottom of the radiator?

Bleeding the coolant system isn't a PITA like brake lines are. I've always filled, then run for a couple minutes, top off, and then check it a couple times over then next few days.

My experience is mainly on my old F-150, so be warned.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

On my '87 Concours there is a drain screw on a pipe at the bottom of the bike. Remove that screw, open the radiator cap, and all the coolant flows out. Replace the screw and start refilling. Go slow, pour a little in, let it settle, and repeat. Then there are two level screws on the back of the engine. These look and act like bleeder valves, open and the fluid flows so close it. Do the lower one first. You may need to remove some fairing plastic.

Do you have a service manual or just the owners guide?

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#4 Unread post by ofblong »

now here is a question I dont know the answer to. Do you flush this the same way you do a car? Meaning open up the main hose for the radiator shove a garden hose to it turn on the water and "let it flow" to wash out any contaminents? Then let it drain and then refill it?
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

That wouldn't work on the Connie. The cap is separated from the radiator by a short piece of hose so filling is a slow process. I fill and flush it with plain water several times before I put in a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze (Ethylene glycol) and distilled water.

Dunolde
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Dunolde »

Thanks for responding. I don't have the shop/maintenance manual, just the Owner's; that's where it says to let the dealer do it. I asked one of the techs where I have service done and he said to just unclamp the lowest hose. There is no drain plug. So, the hose it is.