Cleaning melted plastic off an exhaust pipe ---> ???

flying92
Rookie
Rookie

Cleaning melted plastic off an exhaust pipe ---> ???

#1 Unread post by flying92 »

A few nights ago, I was riding home from a hockey game and the inline hockey pants I was wearing melted onto one of my exhaust pipes. Any suggestions what the best way to remove this would be? I tried using tar and bug remover, that had no effect as the plastic material is pretty well burned on. Before I went to anything more abrassive, I figured I should ask for advice.

Also, is there any type of metal cleaner that will remove or reduce the amount of blueing on a pipe?

Thanks for your help!!

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Very carefully use a razor blade to get melted plastic or polyester pants off of exhaust pipes. Use several blades if necessary, don't try to use a dull one.

Then, get some S.O.S. pads (this is very fine steel wool available cheap from the grocery store on the dish detergent aisle) and wet 'em down and scrub 'em clean.

There's a product called "blue job" yeah really, that's the name, that will temporarily remove most of the blue from your pipes. But it will come back, pipes just do that.
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

flying92
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by flying92 »

Thanks for the advice! I will try the razor blades tonight. Coincidently, I was doing more looking online over the weekend and found the website for Blue Job. It looked good so I picked up a container at a local bike shop. I am looking forward to trying it out... I'll post the results here when I'm done.