need info on 1983 yamaha xv920 virago starter/flywheel....

1983 xv920 virago
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: motorcycle

need info on 1983 yamaha xv920 virago starter/flywheel....

#1 Unread post by 1983 xv920 virago »

I have 1983 xv920 virago mint, mint very low miles, under 3,000 for a long time the starter would slip? getting worse and now it would just slip not even crank over at all I've also bought new starter same thing and just so you know it's not the battery, not sure what to do and who to trust? I'm first owner and realy never use bike as you can tell by miles,bike is spotless and dont want anyone to work on it I do all the work myself I've had been automech so I think it's not hard 4me can u send me any info about this @ [email protected] ??shim kit?? flywheel?? :kicking: :kicking:

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

Re: need info on 1983 yamaha xv920 virago starter/flywheel....

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

I'm unsure what you mean by the starter 'slipping'. Starters are a positive engagement system. Are there teeth missing from the flywheel or starter drive gear?

*OK, after looking at schematic of your starter, I'm going to guess your bike just runs it's starter motor when you push the start button? And nothing engages the flywheel to spin the engine itself?

If that's the case, the the problem is likely what Yamaha calls the starter clutch, or what the automotive world calls the bendix sticking. It doesn't look like they sell it as an assembly, so take yours apart and clean all the corrosion and crud off the shaft the gears slide on. Also make sure the spring is in good shape.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

1983 xv920 virago
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: motorcycle

#3 Unread post by 1983 xv920 virago »

from my post I say that the starter is new no teeth missing at all, but not sure about the flywheel I did look and did not see missing teeth but its not like I look at flywheel's on a virago b4 but have on cars so its not that. THE STARTER CLUTCH, yes I think it is that where do I get that part/parts I've called yamaha they told me that they dont make parts for that bike at all and dont make parts for any bike after 25years old?? unless you find it on shelf at a yamaha, help me please...

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

I called both Yamaha dealers in Kansas City and they don't have it on the shelf. I've found however, a visit to the oldest dealer in town can help you find those old discontinued parts that are still on the self. Or you could try The Old Bike Barn.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

If teeth were missing, it would probably make a clunking/grinding type of noise. This 'slipping' you describe makes me think that the starter drive gear or 'starter clutch' is not working properly, sticking or seized. Have a look at these drawings and notice that the starter clutch is not included with the starter, it is separate.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 0k/o/m7931

Now have a look at this view of the starter clutch. See that shaft (#4), spring (#10), and gears (#5 & 10).... they all need to slide in and out as the starter spins to engage the flywheel. Check to see that yours do slide easily.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 1sch228497

If you need some of these parts, that site the drawings are on should be able to set you up.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

Re: need info on 1983 yamaha xv920 virago starter/flywheel.

#6 Unread post by flynrider »

The early Viragos were notorious for their starter problems. Dan's MC has a page devoted to them that might be helpful :

http://dansmc.com/virago_starter.htm
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk