Suzuki Marauder trip odometer issues. New Digital Gauge?

TheWhiteBuffalo
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2002 Suzuki Marauder VZ800

Suzuki Marauder trip odometer issues. New Digital Gauge?

#1 Unread post by TheWhiteBuffalo »

Hey guys,

First let me say that this forum rocks!

I am a brand new rider, and recently purchased a used 2002 Suzuki Marauder VZ800. I absolutely love the bike and have only one, maybe two issues that drive me crazy.

On my bike, the stem to reset the trip odometer is broken. Basically, it pulls off the threaded rod inside the gauge cluster and I see glue residue. I would attempt to re-glue the plastic stem back on there, but I am unsure of what method you use to reset the odometer. The stem in textured, so I am assuming that you spin/roll the miles off as opposed to pushing or pulling the stem to reset? I'm hoping this will fix the problem, because I hate to buy a used gauge and replace mine. My bike has really low mileage and I want the gauge to reflect the actual miles.

Not having a trip odometer drives me crazy as I can't watch and see when it is time to refuel. My last question is in regards to replacement digital gauges. I see that these are advertised as "universal" and have trip odometers and fuel lights. Has anyone tried these on a bike and would they work on my Marauder? They run about $110.00 to $150.00, and that doesn't seem to bad. I am not mechanically inclined, so I will have to pay someone to install. Good idea or bad?