dumbjumper3
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawi/650R

What kind of oil do I use!!?!

#1 Unread post by dumbjumper3 »

I just recently bought my first bike, a 2006 Kawi 650R. The previous owner told me it was in need of an oil change (full synthetic) I've looked online for an owners manual but can't find one. Can anyone tell me what kind of oil I need to buy for this particular bike. I don't just mean brand but weight as well. Thanks.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

Re: What kind of oil do I use!!?!

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

The most important thing to look for in the oil you buy is to make sure it safe for wet clutches. So get either a motorcycle-specific oil or at least make sure it has no friction modifiers in it. Most car-type oils now days have them and usually have a starburst symbol on the bottle. They could damage your clutch plates if used.

As for weight, depends on the climate you live in. If it is hot, or even warm most of the time you ride, use a 10w-40 or 20w-50. 10w-40 is a good bet most anywhere. If you ride in temps closer to freezing, 10w-30 will be fine, but I live in Canada and run 10w-40 even when it gets cold. I will run 20w-50 during the hotter months, but I like thicker oils in engines from personal experience, just make sure to warm-up the bike before riding off.

If you are really worried about what weight to use, call any Kawasaki dealer and ask them what is recommended.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by Flesher »

In addition to what Buzz said; Don't feel you have to stick with synthetic oil, you can switch between mineral and synthetic, even mix the two. I like synthetic, but I'm finding the price to be getting a little out of hand.

dumbjumper3
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawi/650R

#4 Unread post by dumbjumper3 »

Thanks a lot guys. Yea I found the owners manuel, finally, it recommends 10W-40. But I'll probably head to the cycle shop near my house to try and find a motorcycle specific oil. I honestly didn't know they existed. It also looks like the thing is due for a full service, and that cycle shop is estimating 300 bucks with parts and labor for it. Any suggestions on stuff that's easy to do myself so I can save some cash? Again I know nothing about bikes ^_^

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

Buy a service manual. It'll tell you everything about the bike.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.