spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Suzuki GSX-R600 Owner's Manual?

#1 Unread post by spydercanopus »

Hello, Total Motorcycle guys! It's been YEARS but I finally am riding again. I was once a regular on here, but then I sold my bike. :(

I just bought a used GSXR600 and I'm looking for an owners manual for it.

I found the service manual online, but the owner's manual is evasive.

Specifically I need to look up two things that maybe you guys could help me with..
1) What does the red light mean on the dash?
2) How do I put the bike in neutral? I always went up one gear from 1st while standing still and it worked on my old Ninja 500R. This one goes to second gear instead.

Love and thanks,
Matt

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Suzuki GSX-R600 Owner's Manual?

#2 Unread post by sunshine229 »

OMG how you doin' old buddy? You should post a hello (again) in the welcome forum! ;)
Andrea :sun:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey man, which red light? There's a few. Can you circle it on this picture and upload the new picture?

As for your shifting, yes there is a neutral in there, it's just very finicky to find sometimes. Also the previous owner might have set up reverse (GP-style) shifting on it so you could be going between 5th and 6th possibly?

And yeah I can DL the owner's manual. I'll see if I can find a file sharing service that will let me put it up for you to get from me!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Here you go buddy
One GSX-R600K7 Owner's manual ready to be downloaded at your convenience!
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by spydercanopus »

Hi Sunshine! Thank you for the warm welcome. Good to be back with you guys. :D

Wrider, YOU ARE THE MAN! Thank you so much for the manual. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This is the red light that stays on: Image

It also says "CHEC" next to it for a few seconds right after starting. While "CHEC" goes away, the red light stays on.

As for the shifting to neutral, I will have to try what you mentioned about the alternate shifting method. I did notice the clutch is a little loose at the beginning of the pull. They had to put a new clutch handle on just before picking it up because someone broke the original. It seems to shift just fine, however. When I'm rolling the bike while off, I do notice a tiny bit of... resistance, but it does roll with clutch engaged, and does not pull forward while in running in gear with the clutch engaged.

I may have to make a short youtube clip to show exactly what I mean. I'm not fluent enough in the lingo to explain.

So much appreciated,
Matt

spydercanopus
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by spydercanopus »

Ok, I've been reading this manual and I'm not liking what I see.

The oil indicator symbol is always on (low oil pressure?) -AND- the temperature read-out alternates between FI and the temp.

The bike seems to run fine, but does FI alternating mean there is something wrong with the fuel injection? Will fuel injection cleaner help, like a car?

And as for the oil... just add more?

:(

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

*cracks knuckles and sets to typing* haha

Ok first off check your oil by starting the bike for about 5 minutes, then let it sit for 10. Then you want to get a friend/lover/dude next door to hold the bike LEVEL while you look into the sight glass on the side of the bike. You should see two marks etched into the sight glass, and the oil level should be between those two. If it's above, it's overfilled, if it's under, add some more.

As for FI. Fortunately you have the super easy version of the self-diagnostic to check.
For tools you will need your key and a paperclip you can bear to part with (unpainted). Start by using your key to remove your rear seat and look for a little connector looking thing with wires coming into one side, and a rubber cap over it. It will look like a connector that was left undone and just capped off as an afterthought. Take off the cap and look into it. It should have 4 holes with two of them having metal connections inside.

While the key is OFF, push the ends of the straightened out and re-bent paperclip into the slots that have the connection. Then turn the key to the on position. You do not need to start it, but if it makes you feel better it won't hurt anything. On your dash where it's showing the FI light it will show a code (or up to 10 I think). Send me the code as I can check it against Zuke's master list on that bike and I will tell you what it says and probably be able to tell you what it means.

Now back to the shifting... While the bike is off put the bike into first and make sure it's in gear by rolling it back and forth until the engine stops it. Then SLOWLY snick the shifter up until you feel a SLIGHT weakening of resistance. You may not even hear anything. Check to make sure it's neutral by rolling the bike back and forth again, it should roll freely. Those bikes are hard to get into neutral, especially if you haven't ridden in a while... It's taken me a full minute to get into neutral on some of those things and I work on the stupid things!

If you still can't get it into neutral, from what you said I'm assuming you bought it from a dealer, I'd take it back to them and make them check out the bike, see if they can do it. If not then when the bike was (I assume) dropped it not only broke the clutch lever but probably bent the shifter shaft. Not expensive or hard to replace, but it should be done on the dealer's dime.

gixxerjr
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki GSX 600

#8 Unread post by gixxerjr »

Did u ever figure out what was wrong with it?

DirtyPrez
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 600

#9 Unread post by DirtyPrez »

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I've just bought my Suzuki yesterday and can't find the Owner's manual either. The above link doesn't work anymore. Is there any other way to find the manual? Thank you guys.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.