Help please. Gear indicator and actual gear bike is in don't always agree.

billk7457
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2011 Suzuki c50t

Help please. Gear indicator and actual gear bike is in don't always agree.

#1 Unread post by billk7457 »

I have a 2011 Suzuki Bloulevard. Lately, when I shift gears the indicator on the panel will register a different gear. For example, if I am stopped and idling in first gear, the indicator will indicate first. Then, when I begin travel and shift into second, the gear indicator will indicate 3rd gear for a few seconds then register 2nd gear. This can also happen shifting up from 2nd to 3rd and the indicator will register 4th. The indicator doesn't behave this way with every shift, but it does with enough frequency to believe that something is not quite correctly. The bike shifts through the gears alright; it is just the indicator that is acting screwy. I am unaware of how the indicator knows which gear the bike is in. Any thoughts of what might be causing this situation will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Honey Badger
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 13 GSXR1000; 07 Triumph Daytona (race)

Re: Help please. Gear indicator and actual gear bike is in don't always agree.

#2 Unread post by Honey Badger »

Not sure how to fix it, but my 2013 GSXR has the same problem. Doesn't bother me as mechanically it's fine, and it always seems to indicate the correct gear once I'm moving. While the problem presented itself before, it did seem to get a little worse with switching to the GP shift pattern, but in reality that shouldn't make any difference in the end.

I've put 30,000 miles on the bike this way, it's never caused a problem. Doesn't bother me enough to really feel the need to worry about it LOL
AFM #302​

​Special thanks to my 2015 sponsors!

RiderzLaw; Dunlop Race Tires; Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning; MotoSport; Woodcraft; Shoei Helmets; Moto Shop; Precision Trackdays; Erich Stiegler Farmer's Insurance; Speed Mob; Cycle Gear; AXO; Driven Racing; City Bike; Chicken Hawk Racing

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"
"Try not, do or do not. There is no try"