Will a different year model part fit my bike?

JeremyBB/FLSTF
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2009/Harley Davidson/Fatboy FLSTF

Will a different year model part fit my bike?

#1 Unread post by JeremyBB/FLSTF »

I drive a 2009 Harley Fatboy FLSTF, and was wanting to replace my gas tank and both fenders with a new set. I found a pull off set of tins for sale from a 2012 Harley Fatboy FLSTF, and wanted to know if they'll be compatible and fit my bike? I'd like to find out what other Fatboy FLSTF year model tins are compatible with my 2009? Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: Will a different year model part fit my bike?

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

I'm not clear on why you want to change the bodywork... there are very few, if any, differences between the 09 and 12 models except for the bigger motor and different brake system parts. The gas tanks and fenders are pretty much identical, why go through the expense to change them? Or are you just wanting to keep the 12 parts as replacements if your bike gets damaged?
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

JeremyBB/FLSTF
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2009/Harley Davidson/Fatboy FLSTF

#3 Unread post by JeremyBB/FLSTF »

I want to change my tins because these 2012 tins are brand new with the paint job I want on my bike. My tins have small scratches and a small dent in the gas tank. It has nothing to do with the engine on the '12 model. And I wanted to confirm that there was as little difference as possible between the 2 year model tins. I know that there isn't an overflow vent line on the top front part of the gas tank of the '12 like there is on the '09, but I wanted to verify that they are interchangable before I buy the new set and then can't use them.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#4 Unread post by Gummiente »

Your best bet then is to talk to your local HD dealer. It's a lot of work and expense to change out bodywork for the sake of a colour choice, so you'd want to be absolutely certain before diving into it. It's very unlikely that anyone here on this multi-brand forum has ever done what you're wanting to do, so we're not able to give the definitive answers you need.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride