And now for something completely different (a car question)

StrppngYoungLad
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

And now for something completely different (a car question)

#1 Unread post by StrppngYoungLad »

All right, so this weekend I decided to put in a new sound system in my car, a '92 honda accord. The previous one gave up the ghost and blew out all the speakers in the process, but that's a story for another time.

So I installed everything all right, but when I was taking off the door panel on the passenger side I ended up accidentally breaking the door handle mechanism on the inside. The door will still open but only from the outside. What happened was there was a little plastic piece that held two parts together that lost its tip, so the piece that opens the door doesn't actually connect to the door handle any more. Here's two crude MSPaint diagrams that demonstrate what I tried to explain:

This is the door as the passenger sees it. The circle is where the screw is;
I can easily take the door handle panel off by unscrewing it.

This is how it's busted inside the handle panel. The two pieces should be connected, the black part going into the white hole. Now, I figure I can probably just open it up and tie some fishing line to the two pieces or something, or just take the panel off and tie a string to the mechanism and just take the handle out. I was wondering if there was something that it would be best for me to use, such as a shoe string, fishing line, or a paper clip. Or maybe there would be some other way to connect the two pieces again that I'm not thinking of? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW in case anybody is wondering, the new sound system is working well.

:D

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#2 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

how much would the part cost from a dealer? Also, from a junk yard.

What kidna system? How's it set up? 2ohm, 4ohm, 8ohm? Subs? Head unit?
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

I would try drilling out the center of the 'black' part and run a machine screw, a couple washers and a nut to hold it together. I'd keep trying until I totally f'ed it up, then I'd go get a used one at the wreckers. :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

StrppngYoungLad
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by StrppngYoungLad »

GeoffXR200R wrote:how much would the part cost from a dealer? Also, from a junk yard.

What kidna system? How's it set up? 2ohm, 4ohm, 8ohm? Subs? Head unit?
Not much I don't think, it is a really simple part but I don't know how to take apart the door itself to access the rest of the part (half of it runs behind the door frame :()

And, it is just a simple system--Four 5.25 pioneer speakers and a durabrand cd/mp3 player I got from Wal-Mart. And now the speakers are not working at all even though they were working fine yesterday, I'm afraid I may have to get a new amp too or something...I don't know what's wrong with it! grr
BuzZz wrote:I would try drilling out the center of the 'black' part and run a machine screw, a couple washers and a nut to hold it together. I'd keep trying until I totally f'ed it up, then I'd go get a used one at the wreckers. :wink:
haha, I hadn't thought of that, might give that one a try.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by J.R. Bob Dobbs »

Now you've got me in a Monty Python mood. The Life of Brian is my fav.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

J.R. Bob Dobbs wrote:Now you've got me in a Monty Python mood. The Life of Brian is my fav.
That's the only movie that had a good ending.

OK- taking the panel off the door is pretty simple. There are only a few screws if I recall around the exit lever and in the armrest, then you just put a pry bar between the door and the panel and pull alittle. Move it around until you think you're near the point of most resistance (it doesn't move as much) then pull back on it. The panel just pops off in a few places. Then you've got access to the door
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

niterider
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#7 Unread post by niterider »

Baling wire!!!
1993 750 Vulcan
one seater
ear shave, pod filters
rear turn signal relocation
lowered rear 2" soft tail
converted to manuel cam chain tensioner
horn relocation

Lovinit
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Lovinit »

Are you refering to the plastic clip that attaches the mteal rod to the handle itself?

If that is waht you need, go to the dealer or sometimes a locksmith. That pc should be able to be pushed out from the bottom with a pair of neetle nose plyers.

Refer to the picture "C" and you will see the clip I am asking about.

If the image does not come up, let me know, I am new to the posting of images.