Suzuki 1400 Intruder Stalling issue

floatsmyboat
Veteran
Veteran

Suzuki 1400 Intruder Stalling issue

#1 Unread post by floatsmyboat »

My son just bought his first motorcyle, a 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400. While riding it home I noticed it would sometimes stall when I pulled the clutch in (disengage), and sometimes when engaging the clutch. It even did it while sitting still once, but usually while pulling up to a stop. I believe the idle speed is set correct, if anything a little fast. It acts just like the ignition switch has been shut off. It will start right back up again, but stalling is annoying and dangerous in an intersection. My first thought was low oil, but oil level is fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg O.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#2 Unread post by fireguzzi »

The kill switch that is on the clutch lever may be bad.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

floatsmyboat
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by floatsmyboat »

I did not realize the clutch lever has a kill switch. What is the purpose of this switch?

Greg O

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Sev »

If you're in gear and you try to start the engine without having your clutch in nothing will happen. Basically it stops you from launching the bike out from underneath you if you start it in gear.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

floatsmyboat
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by floatsmyboat »

Thanks for the quick reply,

After I thought about it I remembered why there is a switch in the clutch lever, but doesn't that just control the starting circuit from energizing the starter without pulling the clutch? How would that affect the ignition? I guess I need to get a wiring drawing.

Thanks,

Greg O.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

From what your describing it could also be a fouled plug. Takes a minute to check on the intruder. If the idiot who had it before put autolights in it... just replace them.

I agree, it doesn't sound like the switch in the clutch but it never hurts to check that.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

floatsmyboat
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by floatsmyboat »

I agree, it doesn't sound like the switch in the clutch but it never hurts to check that.

The only thing that bothers me is that it only stalls when the clutch is pulled or released. But the switch in the clutch lever should only open and close the starting circuit, but maybe it is shorting out causing the ignition to loose power.

Greg O.

floatsmyboat
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by floatsmyboat »

OK,

I have just learned more by fooling around. I turned the idle down lower to a slower speed. With the headlamp on high beam, I put the turn signal on and the engine stalls. So the question is, is the alternater not putting out at low speed? Is it the battery? This is where I will start looking.

Thanks,

Greg O.

floatsmyboat
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Unread post by floatsmyboat »

I really appreciate everyones imput here. I am learning a little more as I go. I put the voltage tester on the battery and was reading 12.5 volts while running fast idle, 2000 to 3000 rpms. I realize this is low. From my automotive experiance it should be 13.5 to 14 volts. I assume it should be about the same on a motorcycle. I put the charger on the battery till the charger quit charging it. I would like to cell test the battery, but it is hard to get to. After charging the battery I was showing 12.9 to 13.25 volts. Still low.

Do I start with a new battery, or go to the rectifier and stater? How does a person test these?

Thanks,

Greg O

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#10 Unread post by flynrider »

You need to get the battery out of the equation. After a fully charging it, check the voltage at the terminals with the engine off. It should be around 12.2 volts or better. If it's not, then your battery may be the culprit.

If the battery is bad, it could be dragging down your charging system.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk