1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim

Haemon
Rookie
Rookie

1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim

#1 Unread post by Haemon »

I bought this bike about 3 or 4 years ago when I did not know any better and it was cheap. I got the thing for 250 bucks and figured if I put another 200 into it, Id have a motorcycle to ride around on.

Anyhow, the bike was bought from a dealer who was closing up shop and selling it on consignment for some Canadians who were riding it up here (Alaska) and the stator fried on them. When I got the bike, and took off the stator panel, sure enough it was obviously fried and melted.

My biggest question to start is whether or not this particular bike is worth fixing in the first place. It does have its fair share of weather worn parts. I do know that when I hooked up the battery, and turned the key it turned over just fine and seems to have compression. It has about 43k miles on it, not sure if that is a lot for a motorcycle. Also, if i am to get the stator from the only site i have seen that offers it for 150 US dollars, is it very likely that it could fry again do to other wiring issues?

Thanks everyone for your help in Advance. Id really like to get this thing going, whether its driving or out of my yard and sold to someone who can make it ridable.

honda750
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

yamah

#2 Unread post by honda750 »

i would DEFINITELY recommend fixing up this bike. I bout your exact one for cheap like you did to fix up and sell and i had a REALLY hard time letting it go. It's a good bike and it has TONS of power for a 650. Great for long trips, and getting it for 250 and putting another 200 into it would get you a REALLY nice bike. I LOVED THAT BIKE!
Last edited by honda750 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haemon
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Haemon »

The only thing that has me "Scared" so to speak about putting anything into it is the fact that the bike has lots of weather wear. The grips, the rubber pegs, everything seems to have a bit of wear on it. The seat has a huge cut and was taped with electrical tape (someone obviously has not heard of duct tape :P). I could imagine dropping 1000 bucks just to make the bike look and feel like it should, only to possibly have it give me problems. Not to mention if I don't have all the right pieces to put it back together or don't tune it properly when putting it together considering the stator has to do with the spark plug timings, don't want to mess those up.

Its good to hear your rebound that it has a lot of power. All of the people I have talked with that owned a XJ650 said it had a lot of power for its size. Lots of good stuff about it, bad electrical after 30k.

Is 43k considered a large number of miles for a motorcycle?

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#4 Unread post by MrShake »

My guess is, that if you get it running and don't worry about th asthetics, you could, at a minimum, sell it for what you put into it.

honda750
Elite
Elite

yamaha

#5 Unread post by honda750 »

i had 45K on mine - felt like it was new

cycocap
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Maxim XJ650

Re: 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim

#6 Unread post by cycocap »

Can anyone point me toward a set of beefier tires that will fit my 1982 yamaha maxim xj650 stock with no modifications? Im building a bobber but dont plan to mess with the frame at all so i need a nice meaty set that will fit with the stock clearances. and if not then with minimal effort. Just wanting a little fatter rear and a nice meaty front. Going for an exile type look. Thanks.