Woody768
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2006 Harley Night Train

06 Harley Night Train Carbs

#1 Unread post by Woody768 »

To make a long story short, I have been riding bikes for years but always cafe style racers. I rode a friend’s night train last year and got bitten hard by the bug. Needless to say my wife and I have been out shopping and found one at a dealership. An 06 Night Train in pretty decent shape, but what I am concerned with is that there were allot of aftermarket parts installed. It had big ole ape hangers, aftermarket pegs, mirrors, pipes, and had been lowered about 3". I talked to the dealership and basically want it brought back more to stock. They said that the pipes would not pass inspection, so they were going to change them any way. My questions are what questions should I be asking the dealership? I am not a mechanic, but I am not completely dumb in regards to how motorcycles work. I have a sneaking suspicion that if the previous owner went through the trouble of aftermarket pipes he probably did some work to the carbs to balance out the two, but I don't know to ask if it was just jetted or if there are more things to be done to it. Most of my experience is with inline 4's not V-Twins. Do I ask them just to leave the pipes and put on some slip-on's that will pass inspection and keep the performance? Because I am under the impression that they will do the least amount of work and parts to get it to where I want it. I am also a little discouraged the sales man told me that it was fuel injected, and then a little while later I asked him why a fuel injected bike would need a choke and pointed out the choke to him he just said "Oh I guess it's not fuel injected". Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: 06 Harley Night Train Carbs

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

I can understand the salesman's confusion, because in 2006 apparently Night Trains came either carbureted or fuel injected. Don't know if it was a mid-year switch, or if the FI was an option.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: 06 Harley Night Train Carbs

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

JStark is right. In 06 it was an option. I think it was 07 it became standard on HDs to have FI.

As far as the carb, if they're straight pipes yes you need to rejet or you're going to be running very rich. If they're aftermarket performance pipes (still have some backpressure), then you should be ok to leave the jetting the way it is.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha