smok
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 35
My Motorcycle: 2002/honda/shadow

Oil pressure prolems on my shadow

#1 Unread post by smok »

Parked my bike to get body parts painted and bike was operating perfect its been 4 months since bikes been started (was hospitalized). Put my body parts back on started the thing up and it started pumping engine oil out of crankcase breather seperator. Anyone had a similar situation?

insaneman_12
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: Motorcycle

Re: Oil pressure prolems on my shadow

#2 Unread post by insaneman_12 »

Did the gas overflow into the crankcase. If it did you would have that problem. Other than that you have massive blow-by which means you have to replace your rings.
71 CB 750 K1
94 PC 800
76 CB 550 K
75 TS 185
76 TC 185
63 YSA-1
06 YZ 450F
84 XL 350R
02 KX 85 with 75 XR 75 motor XR 200 sus.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

Re: Oil pressure prolems on my shadow

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

Sounds like you got a stuck ring, meaning the ring is stuck in it's piston groove and not sealing to the cylinder walls. This let's cylinder pressure past the rind, pressurizeing the crankcase and pushing oil out.

The ring is likely stuck to the piston by gum/sludge/other goo and so not stuck very hard. Chances are good that a good, hard ride will free it up. Make the engine really work hard, full throttle pulls thru the higher gears, from one end of the tach to redline (or from low revs to max revs if the bike has no tach..... You get the idea)

If the ring is stuck with carbon, it will be stuck harder and working the engine probably won't free itself. A teardown and piston cleanoing are called for. Even if the rings are in good shape, once it's down that far, you may as well replace them for the money they will add to gaskets and stuff.

But try a hard ride first. If your oil is dirty, change it with some high detergent bike-safe oil.
No Witnesses.... :shifty: