messiersm
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S

2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S start problem

#1 Unread post by messiersm »

I was riding my bike yesterday with no issues what-so-ever. I went to start it up to ride to work today and it wont turn over.

I had this same problem before, but I believed it to be the battery (I bought it used and we just had cold snap too). I charged the battery (with a motorcycle battery charger) and rode it to a shop to replace the battery. I bought a fully charged gel battery and it didn't turnover then either.

The mechanic there helped me out on the spot. He checked the clutch switch and then trouble shot it down to the starter relay. We replaced that and it seemed to work for awhile until today. Any ideas?

Also, the clutch seems to not disengage all the way even with the clutch lever fully engaged.... didnt have a problem with that last night either.

Thanks!

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: 2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S start problem

#2 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Check Voltage make sure its ok perhaps it is not charging.
check grounds
check any safety switches with a multi meter
check down to the solonoid if you get 12 volts to the solonoid when you engage the switch problem is either solonoid or stater as afore mentioned.
The clutch may need and adjustment or replacement
there aint nothin like it

messiersm
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S

Re: 2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S start problem

#3 Unread post by messiersm »

I went to go try it again last night to listen if the starter relay was clicking.... and it turned over and started on the second try. I remember the engine kill switch sticking a few times and I think that is the culprit. I'm clean it up with some medical grade alcohol and some silicone lube... and check the clutch and the kick stand kill switch too.

If that doesn't fix it I'll borrow a multi-meter from work and make it a week-end project. Thanks for the info Brumbear!!