newbiehonda750owner
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2003 honda shadow 750

fuel pissing out

#1 Unread post by newbiehonda750owner »

Just to start off.... I am a new rider and owner of a 2003 Honda shadow750. After buying the bike(which has been sitting for a few years) I have cleaned and sealed the tank. Now fuel is just pouring fuel out of a hose coming from the carb. It looks like it has never been clamped to anything( no marks on the hose end). When trying to start it, I can plug it up and it starts, but does not idle, unless its under a little throttle. unplug it and it dies. I think I am going to have to have the carbs rebuilt. What do you think???? I need some help.

I reread my post and realized, I didnt explain this issue in a clear manner.

The line I am speaking about looks like its a vent/overflow line coming from the carb. It would make sense that it would discharge from there if the carb is clogged with bad gas/varnish.
Last edited by newbiehonda750owner on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: fuel pissing out

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Need new hose. Rubber deteriorates with time and/or heat and will crack - and leak.

Needing carb rebuild is standard if the bike was put away without taking storage precautions.

Old fuel gums up the very small passages that provide fuel at idle so there's no fuel to idle with.
Adding seafoam or solvent doesn't fix that problem. Sometimes the gum is so tough it requires replacing the jets (the brass things with the tiny passages that are plugged) rather than cleaning them. Poking them with hard sharp things to get the gunk out will mess up the carefully manufactured diameter of the holes.

Welcome to the world of working on machinery!
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E