neverdie38
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 1981 cm400A

about to burn it down...

#1 Unread post by neverdie38 »

1975 GL1000, 38K miles, stock. bought the bike and it revved up slowly. took carbs apart and found that pilot rubber plugs were bad (replaced) and did a clean on the carbs. put it back together and ballast resistor went bad (replaced, installed new points, condenser, and timed.) put it all back together and got it to run pretty good using a reservoir bottle because tank was nasty. had idle trouble (pilot screws weren't set right) but revved up quick and sounded good. cleaned tank, put in line filter on and started. it ran like complete crap and the carbs flooded (never happened before.) so I took carbs back off, cleaned again (bowls had minute sediment.) hooked tank back up to carbs, ran down the road at about 70mph and it fell on it's face. wouldn't run unless on full choke w/no throttle. got back to garage and hooked up reservoir bottle and it still ran like junk. now it will only fire once then die over and over. will not stay running.

am I over thinking this and it just be a simple fuel line occlusion causing carbs to run lean? I am at the frustration point because all I did was try to get it to run better and I am on a downward spiral. any help is GREATLY appreciated

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: about to burn it down...

#2 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Yeah there is no quick and easy way to fix nasty and thats what you got nasty a fuel system, take your time if you feel you have done a thorough job and it falls on it's face back to the drawing board. I personally would have the tank done, change the fuel lines put in a new inline filter and get different cabs.
there aint nothin like it

neverdie38
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by neverdie38 »

i have cleaned the tank with metal rescue and apple cider vinegar and flushed probably 20 times. i put new fuel lines on it and a new filter. only thing i need is a tiny camera on a scope to go through the fuel line path inside the carb haha when i took carbs apart before, the small filters inside the carb were clogged beyond belief. and i assume the flooding is because it sucked something into float needle seat and wouldn't stop. ohhhhh yay how i love carb trouble. thanks for the help

neverdie38
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by neverdie38 »

took carbs apart and the filter that were under the float seat were so clogged I couldn't believe it. flushed out carbs, rechecked all jets and pilot circuit, and it ran great. thanks for the help!