Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1984/Honda/CB550

Rear drum brake grabs a bit and squeaks suddenly

#1 Unread post by jbethune »

Not so much a question, but appreciate any advice:

1984 550 Nighthawk. I have been riding it for a while, still have not fixed my 4th cylinder mis-firing, but thats another problem.

My rear drum brake just started to grab when I lightly apply the pedal. It it quite jerky and is accompanied by some squeaking. Instead of a smooth braking as I depress the pedal, now I need to press as lightly as possible to avoid lurching forward as the brake grabs. The squeak just started with the sticky brake. This also usually only happens when the bike is cold. after 15-20 minutes it seems to brake normally.

I just took my rear wheel off today, and am going to inspect the brake tomorrow, just wondering if anyone had any tips on solving this particular problem, as this is my first time taking apart the rear drum brake. I have a clymer manual, so I am going to do the usual light sanding of the drum etc..

i'll let you know how it goes for future reference
thanks

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: Rear drum brake grabs a bit and squeaks suddenly

#2 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Brake dust build up is a possibility service your caliper inspect your pads. Remember the rear brake is not your friend on a street bike :D There is a reason the front is twice sometimes as many as 4 times the size
there aint nothin like it

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#3 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Grabby rear brake can be caused by rust. If the bike has been out in the rain or high humidity and the drum has rusted you get some grabby behavior for awhile.
Wouldn't hurt to take a look.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

jbethune
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1984/Honda/CB550

#4 Unread post by jbethune »

I use my rear brake often, but usually just the smallest amount. I think it makes for the smoothest stop in combination with the front and downshifting. I'm all about trying to get that perfect ride (car or bike). Is it just me, or do others try and come to a stop so smoothly that being stopped is undistinguishable from moving? I try and get rid of that abrupt distinction between moving and stopped...I realize thats a bit crazy, but it is fun.

Anyways, I did a thorough cleaning of my rear drum brake and that got rid of the grabbing. I expect it was due to rust, because it has been crazy humid here recently. I cleaned the linings with a wire brush and gave a quick sanding to the drum, then just routine lubrication and checkups while I had it open. Problem solved.