wes276
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1995 yamaha fzr600r

new bike, 1st bike, needs a bit of work, please help

#1 Unread post by wes276 »

hey people, i was wondering if somebody here could help me. i just bought a 1995 fzr600r last night for like $850, she obviously needs a bit of work. she needs a battery, which i have 1 on the way right now. it also had the rear brake caliper taken off, but i have it apart in a box. the previous owner let it sit in the garage over the winter and it compressed. so he decompressed it, bled the system, took the caliper apart and saw that the rubber piston ring seals were ruined. i also have new 1s on the way now, and i removed the old 1s. it also has a small hole in the exhaust header pipe so its louder than normal, I'm guessing that could be welded, at least for now until i replace it? pictures soon to follow.

now, the good things. the bike runs, it was running when i saw it yesterday, but was on a charger because of the battery being dead. all the lights and gauges work too, and the bike will rev all the way up to redline when asked to do so. aftermarket muffler and tail pipe and a few other things he put on that i cannot remember right now. front brake is still on, still works fine, rotors for the front and back are in good shape as well, so I'm guessing i got a good bit of life out of both of them before THEY need replacing too. but so far, do you guys think i am looking at a lot of work or expensive work just to fix up the rear brake caliper and the exhaust header pipe or no?

ps, taking the rear caliper to a shop after class today for another opinion

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: new bike, 1st bike, needs a bit of work, please help

#2 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I think if the gears shift and it aint smoking you did well for eight and a half nice buy
there aint nothin like it

wes276
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by wes276 »

thanks. the gears actually do shift from what i saw, and the engine was smoking when it was FIRST started up because he tried spraying a lot of "poo poo" on the bolts for the exhaust headers to loosen them because of how rusty they are (i decided to straight up replace that whole unit, seen some cheap ones on ebay and a junkyard) but after the bike had been running for a few minutes the smoke stopped. i decided to replace the whole brake caliper and the header though, i don't think that'll be TOO bad. i just rather not deal with a rusty header and risk messing up that cylinder

wes276
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by wes276 »

do you think ebay is my best bet when it comes to finding the exhaust header pipes?

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

be a good place to start, check salvage yards as well
there aint nothin like it