totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R odd clock and charging issues

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I thought I'd pick the brains of the best on the internet, so I posted here :cowboy:

My wife's bike, a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R is having some odd issues. Seems for the past couple of days her bike's clock (on the display) was resetting itself (not keeping the time), then today she lets me know at low RPMs her headlight is flickering and not very bight. Also on the gauge display her turn signal light is now flashing erratically when she uses her turn signals.

I think it might be the battery needs replacing or the alternator, but haven't had a chance to look just yet with my multi-meter.

Suggestions?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R odd clock and charging issues

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

It's a loose connection or bad battery.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Johnj wrote:It's a loose connection or bad battery.
Good idea. Hopefully it's just a bad battery, I'll check the charge when she gets home with the bike after work and then seeing if it will keep it. Also I'll re-check the battery cables as well.

I've learned through the many years to now try (or look) for the easiest fix first. lol.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Update:

When she started the journey home from work it was really bad (digital display/headlight flickering and turn signals erratically blinking at stops) but by the time she got home it was running just fine, as if normal.

I tested the battery and it was reading 12.5ish volts. Revving the engine 3-5k the charge was fluctuating between 12.5 to 14v. Could be the battery isn't holding a charge well, it gets charged up enough as she rides home and then discharges slowly there after... This may explain this morning's ride and the first part of the ride home, and then getting home in a "normal" state.

Will test the battery later tonight and again in the morning.

Any further advice is welcome!

Mike

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#5 Unread post by Johnj »

When she is running 3 to 5 k the voltage should be 14.4vdc steady.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Johnj wrote:When she is running 3 to 5 k the voltage should be 14.4vdc steady.
Yup, that's what I was expecting as well.

Update: I let the bike sit overnight and just started it up now and checked the voltage. 12.5v, but when I started the bike it was dropping down to 11v and I was getting 11-12.5v all over the place, so I turned on the signals, high-beam and the battery kept going down to around 5v, the lights started to flicker, the display wasn't happy and then the bike stalled.

I'll take a guess it's the battery not being able to hold a charge anymore. So I'll look at ordering up a replacement...

for anyone reading this post in the future, the replacement battery for a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R is: Yuasa YTX12-BS

Further advice welcomed. :)

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

So I pulled the battery. Andrea thought I'd replaced it 2 years ago when we bought the bike, but I would not have bought this cheapy battery as I always buy Yuasa's*.

Ascent battery supply x2-12

From the looks of the battery, it was in there for more than 2 years... so that's pretty good (IMO) for a cheapo battery to last... (if that's the cause of these issues).

Mike

* Going cheap on battery can spell trouble.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#8 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I just saw this sorry glad you got it sorted!!! I had an issue earlier this year with the lith/Ion I bought. The terminal actually was bad not the cable connection inside the battery it shyt the bed kinda. I would get all kind of crazy readings and then all would be ok and 1 day I kinda grabbed the cable in frustration. I noticed the whole terminal move a little the cable was tight??? As I did this I could hear relays clicking I looked at the dash and sure enough low voltage error would come up!!! Luckily those batteries actually have 2 sets of terminals switched sides all is well!!!! battery all was well but good you got it!!!
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Well, I'll let you know if that was the trick as soon as I get the battery in (should be Friday). :)

Mike

jhosen
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: HONDA

#10 Unread post by jhosen »

y wife's bike, a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R is having some odd issues. Seems for the past couple of days her bike's clock (on the display) was resetting itself (not keeping the time), then today she lets me know at low RPMs her headlight is fl
Smart lover