mannafanna
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: hornet 599

Gas coming out of overflow tube-no start

#1 Unread post by mannafanna »

2004 Cb600f hornet

Just cleaned out carbs/replaced gaskets/replaced fuel tube. Bike has been sitting for about 2 weeks while i was waiting for the fuel tube to come in, battery does not appear to be dead. Added some fuel cleaner to the gas and mixed it around.

Tried to start it up, it worked the first time but died after about 10 seconds or so with choke fully on (like it lost power)

Tried to push start it, did not work, gas came leaking out of the overflow tube for the gas tank.

Before i take it all apart again, any ideas what could be causing this? Thank you

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Gas coming out of overflow tube-no start

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Did the bike used to work?

For fuel out the overflow - fuel cap isn't tight? Gas sloshing in the full tank? Don't mess with push starting if you aren't really sure it'll start.
You might be 2 miles down the road and downhill before you give up. Not good. Just recharge the battery.

For no-start- does it have a vacuum petcock? If so, you should put it to prime to flow fuel to the carbs before trying to start.
Most carbs have a drain screw - you can test for fuel in the bowls by opening the drain on one of the carbs and see that you get a good quantity of fuel out.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

mannafanna
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by mannafanna »

GS_in_CO wrote:Did the bike used to work?

For fuel out the overflow - fuel cap isn't tight? Gas sloshing in the full tank? Don't mess with push starting if you aren't really sure it'll start.
You might be 2 miles down the road and downhill before you give up. Not good. Just recharge the battery.

For no-start- does it have a vacuum petcock? If so, you should put it to prime to flow fuel to the carbs before trying to start.
Most carbs have a drain screw - you can test for fuel in the bowls by opening the drain on one of the carbs and see that you get a good quantity of fuel out.
Yes it used to work. I had to replace the hose because it had a huge tear in it and was leaking gas. I believe it is a vacuum petcock. I only have reserve-off-on settings on it. i will try to unscrew the drain

mannafanna
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by mannafanna »

update: I unscrewed the drain on the leftmost carb, got some gas coming out

gas cap is secure far as i can tell

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Are you sure the overflow tube is for the tank and not the carbs(it may be a stuck float pin) If not then pull em apart again something is probably not right.
You could also try opening the fuel cap it may be clogged vent not letting the fuel run down as you now have fuel in it
there aint nothin like it

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#6 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Owner's manual might say something about whether Reserve is the same as Prime on other bikes i.e. doesn't require vacuum to flow fuel.

You may have to apply vacuum to the petcock an see if it flows fuel easily - otherwise clogged.

Just thinking - during this I'd have the bike on the centerstand so the carbs are level. While starting on sidestand might work it could confuse the symptoms you are having.

Is the choke cable properly adjusted? If the carbs were removed for cleaning this could be an issue.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

mannafanna
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by mannafanna »

GS_in_CO wrote:Owner's manual might say something about whether Reserve is the same as Prime on other bikes i.e. doesn't require vacuum to flow fuel.

You may have to apply vacuum to the petcock an see if it flows fuel easily - otherwise clogged.

Just thinking - during this I'd have the bike on the centerstand so the carbs are level. While starting on sidestand might work it could confuse the symptoms you are having.

Is the choke cable properly adjusted? If the carbs were removed for cleaning this could be an issue.
How do i apply vacuum to the petcock? Also for the choke cable, it appears to be working, it does have some slack at the end by the carbs, but it does slide the metal piece over when i use it

mannafanna
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by mannafanna »

BRUMBEAR wrote:Are you sure the overflow tube is for the tank and not the carbs(it may be a stuck float pin) If not then pull em apart again something is probably not right.
You could also try opening the fuel cap it may be clogged vent not letting the fuel run down as you now have fuel in it
where is the fuel cap located and what does it look like?

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#9 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Its the gas cap usually a big thing you take off when you fill it :mrgreen:
there aint nothin like it

mannafanna
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by mannafanna »

BRUMBEAR wrote:Its the gas cap usually a big thing you take off when you fill it :mrgreen:
haha oh ok just making sure its not something not obvious :p
i cant start the bike while its open because i cannot remove the key