06shadow750
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750

Bike shuts off while riding

#1 Unread post by 06shadow750 »

Hello, last spring I bought a 2005 Honda shadow 750 aero (in very good condition). I've done less than a thousand miles on it and it is still pretty low miles for the age (8700). I was riding the other day and it was cold out but nothing abnormal. I let the bike warm up and the rode, about 4 minutes into my ride I began to accelerate to 65 and as soon as I hit it the bike shut off. I got one gurgle from it and it shut off pulled it to the side of the road and started it right up and rode home. did the same thing later to me that night but then I could coast and hit the starter and ride it home but it still shut off every thirty seconds. I have been reading forums and have found many possible options (loose ground, kickstand killswitch, fuel pump). I am looking for second opinions on the topic to see if it is something I can fix on my own. Ive worked on cars since I was little but I have done very little on bikes (oil change, kickstand change, etc...) but I really want to figure things out on my own bike, just looking for some direction. Ideas and how to fix them would greatly help!! thank you all!!I have a pretty good idea of how to fix things but its my first big purchase so I don't want to screw it up so thank you.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: Bike shuts off while riding

#2 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I would do the obvious first, check the fuel vent for the gas tank, change the fuel filter, make sure your grounds and leads are tight, look at your connections @ the ign switch if possible and check all the fuses they don't always blow clean sometimes connection is an issue. Then try the more specific stuff.
there aint nothin like it

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#3 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Probably electrical rather than fuel.
Check battery connections clean and tight. Unplug and replug all connectors you can access. Remove the tank and panels if you have to.

With a Service Manual, figure out where the ignition connections are especially. Unplug and replug them. Doublecheck any chassis grounds clean and tight. Exercise the kill switch about a dozen times.

Get a Service Manual.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

jland
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007/Honda/Shadow Sabre 1100

#4 Unread post by jland »

I had this issue with my Shadow Sabre 1100 for months. After changing fuses and untold amounts of contact cleaner, I finally realized that the start ignition fuse contacts were pinched outward. After spreading them back in place, I have not had an issue since. Hope this helps you out.