jaxongamer
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1995 Vulcan EN500

Having Problems Starting My Bike

#1 Unread post by jaxongamer »

Hey everyone! I have a 1995 Vulcan EN500 that I have been riding for about 3 years now. I stored it for the winter and tried to get it started a few days ago, after fully charging the battery, and the rely would just click rapidly but the engine would not crank. I started trouble shooting and first started with the battery. I took it to an auto store and they said that it tested out to be very healthy. So I then went on eBay and purchased a new solenoid. I put on the new one and then when I tried to start the engine the rely will just click once. I then started checking my cables and notice that there is rust between one of the ground cables and the starter. So I decided to try to remove the starter motor so I could clean it/test it to make sure that it is working. However, I have removed all the 8mm bolts for the left engine cover but the cover is not budging when I pull on it. Is there something on the inside that I am missing? I looked at a free version of a service manual for a 1996 Vulcan 500 but couldn't find anything. I started doing my own repairs about a year ago to save money and due to the fact that the closet motorcylce repair shop is over 20miles away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ibanrfknm
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 50
My Motorcycle: FXDBI

Re: Having Problems Starting My Bike

#2 Unread post by ibanrfknm »

The side covers are one screw and a snap fit. Remove the screw at the bottom and snap out the front section then pull it slightly forward to remove. It may be simply stuck with time.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Having Problems Starting My Bike

#3 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

The symptoms are those of corroded battery cable connections. The corrosion prevents full current flow.
I've seen it on many, many cars and it's just as simple as removing the connections at the battery and wire brushing them to brightness. (both cable end and battery post)

(Remove the negative connection first and replace it last. )
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E