jsessions92
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Suzuki GS500F

GS500 Wont Start

#1 Unread post by jsessions92 »

Hey everyone,

Firstly, let me introduce myself. My name is John, I'm 22 years old, and I just obtained my M2 through completion of the MSF course and purchased a 2005 GS500F as my first bike. I am a total noob/beginning when it comes to motorcycles.

So last night I took my bike out for a very brief ride and ended up stalling out a couple times by accidentally engaging the clutch while completely stopped. The second time when I tried to start my bike back up, the lights were coming on, and it was turning over, but it just wouldn't start. I eventually figured out that it was most likely a dead battery and proceeded to jump the bike with my car (I didn't turn the car on). The jump took and I let the bike idle for 15 minutes or so, then I turned it off and tried to start it again, but it would not start. However, I am now aware that the bike doesn't charge much while idling, so this could explain why it failed to start again.

The guy I bought the bike from claims that the battery in the bike is only about 4 months old (and I trust him) so what I'm actually worried about is why it died in the first place. Is it really possible to drain my battery down that far from just stalling and restarting it a couple times, or is there most likely something else going on?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: GS500 Wont Start

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Bike charging systems do NOT charge the battery at idle. (cars do but not very much )

Mid-range RPM is where the system can replenish the battery. So if you are riding around the parking lot at low RPMs or spending a lot of time idling at stoplights you will deplete the battery.

Get yourself a motorcycle battery charger (small amperage is the key here) and use it regularly.

I put mine on the charger (Battery Tender) after every ride and it seems to need it as the low RPM approach and shutdown at the house consumes some battery power.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#3 Unread post by gsJack »

Very active GS500 forum with many helpful members when you have something more serious wrong with your GS. Drop in to http://www.gstwins.com/gsboard/ and and check us out when you have time.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

My advice is to listen to Jack. Welcome to the forum.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

jsessions92
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Suzuki GS500F

#5 Unread post by jsessions92 »

Thanks for the replies!

I left of it on a charger overnight and it started up the next morning. Got a little bit more substantial riding time in and even after stalling again the bike started up. However, the next morning when I tried to start it, it would not start again. It was in neutral, clutch disengaged, and kickstand, up. Oddly enough when I put it into 1st gear it started up. The first time when I could not get it to start, I tried neutral and first gear and it didn't make a difference so I'm hoping it was just coincidence. Would it be a good idea to have the battery tested?

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#6 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

What, exactly, do you mean by "it would not start?"

It cranks but doesn't run?
It tries to crank but turns too slowly to start?
It tries to crank but won't roll over?
You push the button and you hear a click?
You push the button and nothing at all happens?

3 of these might be a battery problem but could also be dirty or loose battery connections.
2 of them aren't battery at all

Details matter in troubleshooting.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E