jerry 92 nighthawk
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: honda nighthawk

blowing fuses

#1 Unread post by jerry 92 nighthawk »

I just got a 92 Honda nighthawk it needs a starter, battery,. I got new battery installed an it blew fuse. the 30amp by starter solenoid any ideas why

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: blowing fuses

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello Jerry, and welcome to the forum. I really would like to see a picture of your bike. What exactly happened when the new battery was installed.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: blowing fuses

#3 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

jerry 92 nighthawk wrote:I just got a 92 Honda nighthawk it needs a starter, battery,. I got new battery installed an it blew fuse. the 30amp by starter solenoid any ideas why
How do you know it needs starter and battery?

When did the fuse blow? When you connected the battery? Did you get a big spark when connecting? After turning the ignition switch? After pressing the starter button?

The only thing we can be sure of from your description is that the fuse blew. Fuses always blow when they are asked to pass more current than they should. 30A is a lot of current so -- you seem to have a direct short on that circuit. (does the owner's manual tell you what that fuse protects?)
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E