lushopaul
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2005 Suzuki gs500f

2005 suzuki gs500f

#1 Unread post by lushopaul »

What is the function the flasher relay assembly? Does this affect the starting of a bike?
I have a flasher relay assembly fuse OMRON G8MS-S23 that I think I should replace, because for some reason that my bike won't start. Sometimes, the bike starts but then when I let it idle it shuts off. After shutting off, I try to start it again and then it fails to start. I hear like an electric "Kcraaaaa" sound. After a while, after doing it a couple of times, I don't hear a sound anymore and the bike at this point fails to respond. When I leave it for a couple of minutes, it starts the process again of trying to start, fails and then produces the weird sound and then stops as if the battery has failed. However, all other functions like my lights and horn are all working fine.

When I took out the flasher assembly fuse, the bike didn't bother to start. Would I be wrong to assume that if I change this part, the bike would be ok to start once more? I know it could be several other reasons for this problem but does the fuse affect the starting of a bike.
Thanks

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: 2005 suzuki gs500f

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello Lusho and welcome to the forum. The flasher relay assy should provide the flashing of the signal lamps like the turn signals. There should be a starter relay. the way your describing it I would suspect the battery of not carrying the load of the starter.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

lushopaul
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by lushopaul »

Thanks for responding....However, I did replace the acid in the battery because it was low. And when I did, it fired up and worked. I warmed it up for a while and then later shut it off. When I tried to start it again, no show. I'll try to replace the battery entirely and hope it fixes the issue. I'll provide an update if it does. I guess i'll just put back the relay fuse I removed. Thanks

Johnj
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

Do you have and know how to use a digital voltmeter?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

lushopaul
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by lushopaul »

So, the relay fuse (not starter relay fuse) definitely affects the starting of the bike. If the relay fuse isn't there, the bike won't start.
Thanks for the recommendation for battery. I bought a new battery and that made the bike fire up right away.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#6 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

If you ever get the relay chatter again (on any bike or car) it could be as simple as corroded terminals on the battery. Removing the connections, cleaning them with a wire brush and reinstalling can fix that problem. I've done that trick on MANY cars that coworkers couldn't start over the years.
The corrosion will let enough current flow to activate the relay but not enough to roll the starter over.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E