Terkanator
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2005 suzuki s83

Motorcycle stalls shifting into 1st gear

#1 Unread post by Terkanator »

Hi all, first time posting. I ride a 2005 Suzuki s83 1400, I took it out today for a quick ride. The ride was really smooth, no problems. But when I came to a stop to pull into my driveway the bike stalled, this has happened before so I put it in N and started it again. But when I shifted into 1st gear it stalled again. I rolled it into my drive way and tried to start it in N and shift into 1st again. Same thing. I did this for about 5 min trying different variations of starting, but every time I shifted into 1st it stalled. Almost like I did not have the clutch pulled in. Any theories as to why this is happening/ how to fix it?
thanks.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Motorcycle stalls shifting into 1st gear

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Engine (motor oil) still cold?
Wrong weight (too heavy) motor oil? (changed it lately?)
Clutch not adjusted (if mechanical).
Clutch not fully disengaging (if hydraulic)

On your quick ride did you ever have to sit at a stoplight? Or is this only on your driveway?
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Was your kickstand down?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Terkanator
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2005 suzuki s83

#4 Unread post by Terkanator »

GS_in_CO

I believe my bike is a hydraulic clutch.
I had a few stop lights and stop signs on my ride, it ran great right up until my driveway.
If the clutch is not fully disengaging, how do you recommend I fix it? I am mechanically inclined, and can do adjustments myself, i just don't want to be pulling parts off and adjusting things that are fine without getting some good advice first.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#5 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Terkanator wrote:GS_in_CO

I believe my bike is a hydraulic clutch.
I had a few stop lights and stop signs on my ride, it ran great right up until my driveway.
If the clutch is not fully disengaging, how do you recommend I fix it? I am mechanically inclined, and can do adjustments myself, i just don't want to be pulling parts off and adjusting things that are fine without getting some good advice first.
I think JohnJ's question might be the first thing to pursue. I always forget about those interlocks because I haven't had one on a bike I ride for 25 years. (The R100GS sidestand is spring loaded to retract if you just stand the bike up and I bypassed the interlock switch from the XT350 within the first couple of years I had it).

Electrical connectors are the most evil of electronic components so look carefully at the switch connections (unplug and replug at a minimum) and maybe test the switch. Or even bypass it as a test.

Hydraulic clutch that has some air in it will not deliver full throw when the lever is pulled. So that's the next thing to check in to. Bleed it (if it's one that can be bled)

Service manual is always a good thing to have handy. Internet advice from folks who don't know the machine isn't as helpful.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E