Carb tuning

Bspurge
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha DT125

Carb tuning

#1 Unread post by Bspurge »

Recently got out my uncles old 1979 Yamaha DT 125, the bike is very clean but has a carburetor issue (I think :roll: ). I removed the carburetor and cleaned it, I sprayed carb cleaner through all the different holes and used compressed air too. Here is the problem I am having: I'll start the bike with full choke, RPMs climb to 5000 and then scream to 8000 without giving any throttle. If I turn the choke off (push in) the bike will not idle and die. If I continue to rev the bike, it stays alive but bogs down before RPMs climb. Also if I am reving the bike and it gets around/below 3500 RPMs, it's going to die. I have messed with the idle set screw but i'm guessing it's something internal.
Thanks for any info!

drvirago777
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 1983 Yamaha XV750MK Midnight Virago

Re: Carb tuning

#2 Unread post by drvirago777 »

Sounds like the Pilot Jet may be clogged or the
fuel level is incorrect from a failing needle valve seat and needle valve.
Ultrasonic Cleaning in hot water and then blowing out all the passages with 100 lbs air pressure
when they first come out of the Cleaner, is the best way to make sure everythings cleared.
I like to then blast all the passages with carb cleaner and then air pressure again.
I may go a little overkill.
drvirago777

Bspurge
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha DT125

#3 Unread post by Bspurge »

drvirago777 wrote:Sounds like the Pilot Jet may be clogged or the
fuel level is incorrect from a failing needle valve seat and needle valve.
Ultrasonic Cleaning in hot water and then blowing out all the passages with 100 lbs air pressure
when they first come out of the Cleaner, is the best way to make sure everythings cleared.
I like to then blast all the passages with carb cleaner and then air pressure again.
I may go a little overkill.
Awesome, thanks for your reply! I'll check it out and let you know how it goes.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

Sounds like a intake leak to me.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.