You can solve this but I cant. Bike wont stay running on the road.

tx7
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250

You can solve this but I cant. Bike wont stay running on the road.

#1 Unread post by tx7 »

First, Hello.

I have a 2002 Ninja 250. The bike will turn on fine. Idle is steady and good. After about 5-10 minutes on the road it sputters. You can tell right away that its something wrong because you try to accelerate and the bike just doesn't want to and if it does it will increase the speed rapidly. The bike will eventually try to die. So i try to keep it alive by revving the engine so the revs doesn't hit 0 until i can get to a safe area. When the bike turns off it will take about 10-15 minutes for me to start it back up and get it going again, Suggestions?

Petcock is set to On. Its more than enough gas in the tank. Even have some carb cleaner in the tank.

Secondly, its not the kickstand.Its fuel or air I assume. I will be checking the fuel evaporation system in the morning because I think its connected wrong.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: You can solve this but I cant. Bike wont stay running on the road.

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Try the gas tank vent.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: You can solve this but I cant. Bike wont stay running on the road.

#3 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Are those good 5-10 minutes putting out good power and running perfectly before sputtering out?

If so, I concur with checking the gas tank vent. (try one test run with the fill cap a bit loose if that's not a fire hazard)
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E