Tammy2015
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2011 Yamaha stryker

bike not firing!!!

#1 Unread post by Tammy2015 »

I have a 2011 Yamaha stryker that isn't starting. Neutral light isn't coming on and no spark from the spark plugs. Power turns on but bike won't start. Can someone help me please.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: bike not firing!!!

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello Tammy and welcome to the forum. You can bypass the neutral switch to see if that's the problem (unplug the two wires from the switch and plug them wires together). Or you can try starting the bike while pull the clutch in.
Let's see a picture of your baby.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Tammy2015
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Tammy2015 »

Thank you for responding.
I have done that. Nothing. Let me explain situation a little better. Key has been lost to my bike. A friend messed up my ignition switch so we took off to replace it. Did the bypass thing but now the neutral light isnt coming on and not getting any spark. Checked and replaced fuses. Put a new battery also. There is power going to the bike lights come on but bike isnt firing. Mind you the ignition switch is still off. Do relay switches have anything to do with why its not starting? Have power to the top and bottom lead to the coils. Not starting. Please help

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#4 Unread post by pchast »

Here is a link to a discussion on the Stryker wiring.
Links to a wiring diagram are included.

Welcome to the board!
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Tammy2015
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Tammy2015 »

Cant find link to message you left. Could you resend please

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#6 Unread post by pchast »

Check your personal messages...... Please
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Tammy2015
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Tammy2015 »

Thank you! IDK what is going on. Messed around skittle yesterday checking all the fuses and none were bad. Battery good. Waswas checking to make sure wires were not loose. Couldn't find any. Getting frustrated. Is there a hidden switch Somewhere? I mean power going to bike and coils but no spark. Do I need new spark plugs?

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#8 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Tammy2015 wrote: I mean power going to bike and coils but no spark. Do I need new spark plugs?
Troubleshooting anything but software is best done by being detailed and specific about the steps taken.
One person's "good" is another person's "you can't tell just by looking!"
One person's "it just dies!" is another persons " after 15 minutes the lights dim, motor sputters, then the engine dies and the lights go out."

How do you know there is power going to the coil? What did you do to arrive at this conclusion? Are you using a voltmeter or test light? Do you know that the power to/from the coil has to be interrupted to create high voltage for spark?

How do you know there is no spark? What did you do to arrive at this conclusion?
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Tammy2015
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by Tammy2015 »

We tested if with a test light. Tested the spark with a spark plug. Then tested with our hands to see if it would shock us. It didn't. Git the bike to crank over by jumping the kickstand switch but neutral light won't come on and engine light stays On when you turn the key on. Gas light also on with a full tank of gas.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#10 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Tammy2015 wrote:We tested if with a test light. Tested the spark with a spark plug. Then tested with our hands to see if it would shock us. It didn't. Git the bike to crank over by jumping the kickstand switch but neutral light won't come on and engine light stays On when you turn the key on. Gas light also on with a full tank of gas.
OK. That helps a bit.
Many (most?) bikes have interlocks that require the bike be in neutral and with the clutch lever pulled before the starter will engage.
Some bikes (if memory serves I've owned 2 such) can be cranked over with the kill switch set to Kill - so the starter will roll but the ignition won't go.

Likely the wiring of the ignition is such that there is always power to the coil when the key is on. The ignition module/circuit opens and closes the ground connection as the engine rolls over.

I was going to suggest using a jumper wire to ground to tapping it to open/close the circuit but there might need to be some resistance in the circuit. Doing this might burn out the coil. (or not - would have to see the wiring diagram)

So it's likely the ignition module or the trigger to the ignition module or power wiring to the ignition module. More study of the wiring diagram could indicate places where jumper wires could be applied to give it power for test.
Oh, and check the kill switch and its wiring. (do this first - it's the simplest thing to do)
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E