nighttrayne
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2002 Harley Davidson FSXTBI

2002 Harley Night Train

#1 Unread post by nighttrayne »

I have a 2002 Night Train and was wanting to install a 150 tire on the stock rim. The tire fits but it rubs the belt. In 2003, Harley put a narrower belt and pulley on to accommodate a 150 rear tire. Can I swap a 2003 rear pulley and belt to a 2002?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: 2002 Harley Night Train

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

Technically it is possible, but I'm not sure why you would go through great expense to do this. In order to replace the drive belt, the entire primary - outer, chain, clutch and compensator sprockets and inner - need to be removed to gain access to the front drive sprocket. The rear swingarm pivot bolt also has to be knocked out of the way to allow the belt to slip past it. To have this done at a shop will cost in the $1500 range, plus the cost of the belt and pulley. That's a lot of hassle and expense just to fit a wider tire on that likely very few people will notice anyway.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: 2002 Harley Night Train

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Gummiente wrote:Technically it is possible, but I'm not sure why you would go through great expense to do this. In order to replace the drive belt, the entire primary - outer, chain, clutch and compensator sprockets and inner - need to be removed to gain access to the front drive sprocket. The rear swingarm pivot bolt also has to be knocked out of the way to allow the belt to slip past it. To have this done at a shop will cost in the $1500 range, plus the cost of the belt and pulley. That's a lot of hassle and expense just to fit a wider tire on that likely very few people will notice anyway.
What he said. +1

Do you have a reason to want to do this?

By the way...

Welcome to the forums.

:)