Bigpapadapa
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Transmission/Clutch Issue

#1 Unread post by Bigpapadapa »

I just bought this bike late January or early February. I had it in the shop for 3 months with various problems nothing to do with the transmission. They replaced a rear brake line and fixed a fuel leak that they initially misdiagnosed and fixed correctly at no charge to me. I had to take it back in and get the petcock replaced due to a leak they caused. No big deal because they fixed it for free.

I took it out today for a 30 minutes ride with no problems. I went to take it out a 2nd time and this is where the problem started.

I can only shift into 1st gear and neutral. I can let the clutch all the way out in 1st gear and the bike rolls minimally. If I put my feet down the bike stops but doesn't kill the motor. I can hear a quiet squeak from the transmission with the clutch out in first. It will not shift into 2nd at all. I might also note I can shift from neutral to 1st without pulling in the clutch. The bike does roll while still on if I push it. I can rev the engine as well but get no power to move. I checked to see if the clutch wire broke. When I pull the handle I checked the other end and it pulls like it should all the way down at the transmission end. I checked the shifter by hand and it seems to be working properly but won't shift into 2nd at all like I said.

Any ideas what I can check myself or what could be causing the issue?

Bigpapadapa
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Re: Transmission/Clutch Issue

#2 Unread post by Bigpapadapa »

I figured out the issue. For some reason I had to tighten my clutch. If anyone could explain to me what they think the problem was I would love to hear it. My educated guess is that the pressure plate had to much pressure on the gears causing them not to rotate properly but this could be way off.