GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Starter Issues

#21 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Wow. That's a puzzle. The only device I know of that is a dead-end cylinder used in piping is used in water plumbing as an air bubble used to absorb shock from water moving to water stopping without jolting the pipes. The air bubble acts like a spring.

I suppose there can be some resonant cavities used in exhaust systems for tuning but that's an odd place for exhaust components. You'll have to find an intact example of your bike and look real closely to see what it is. I simply don't know and don't even have a good guess other than it's part of the crankcase venting system. (air springs in and out of it?)

Meantime I'd assume the pipe leaving the head is just a vent and ignore it until you get the engine to start and run.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

KevariMan
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2001 Sherco HRD 125cc

#22 Unread post by KevariMan »

Yeah, this whole bike is a puzzle haha.

The problem is that even if i google Sherco HRD cabriolet, there are like 20 pics of the thing and all of them pictured from the wrong side of the bike to see what it is.
And i can almost say that there maybe like max. of 5 more of this bike in Finland.

Ill just take your advice and ignore it and try to get a compression tester and test the compression to see if its ok.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#23 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Might have to try to find someone on Facebook or similar and ask them the question or for a picture.

Doubt it matters very much right now since the bike won't start.

Good luck!
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#24 Unread post by dr_bar »

Maybe direct some questions their way???

Malcolm Rathmell Sport are the Sole UK Importers for Sherco Motorcycles
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

KevariMan
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2001 Sherco HRD 125cc

#25 Unread post by KevariMan »

Well, it runs !!! Finally after hard thinking it started !!!

So, i would like to thank GS_in_CO for supporting me and guiding me about the basics of how engines work.
dr_bar i will definetly go and see if they know something about this bike, since not even sherco homepage seems to have that much information about the bike, its almost like this model is a black sheep or something.

Now to the final part of the chapter that most want to know what was the issue with the bike
It was problem with the starter, the starter had rust in it, that i thought i cleared, but the little things that hold the coals in place had rust in them, so the coals didn't move ''freely'', i cleared the rust from them, then connected it to the bike again, and it started spinning more happily than ever before and after few spins, it fired up.

Now the last problem is that it won't run steady/idle, it just rev bombs if i take choke off.
The issue is likely that A) the carb isn't fully sealed and leaks air thru the intake and B)Unfortunately im clumsy person and lost the lock that holds the needle in the carb. The damn thing flew from my pliers into thick grass,good luck finding it i guess, haha.

But thank you all for helping me with this and giving suggestions, this thread can be closed.

Peace !

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#26 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

"coals" makes me smile. In English & engineerlish they are called "brushes." But the fact is that they are made of compressed carbon so calling them coal is actually accurate!

Congratulations! You've now completed your course in basic 4 stroke engine troubleshooting.
Now on to carburetor repair......
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E