imperator
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1999 XV1100SE Yamaha Virago

Bike wont turn over

#1 Unread post by imperator »

Hey guys i work the overnight shift. When i went to leave work today my bike wouldn't start. i turned it over about 10-12 times in two or three bursts. It then all together stopped turning over and started making only making a sound that an electric motor makes. i think it may be my starter motor that im hearing.
I've bought a new battery, and new spark plugs so its not either of them. Help please!!!

P.S. my bike is a 1999 Yamaha Virago XV1100SE.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Bike wont turn over

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Spark plugs have nothing whatsoever to do with getting the engine to turn over. They might affect whether it starts though.

I'm guessing that you mean the bike didn't start then the starter wouldn't turn the engine over any more?

If you have bought, and installed, a new battery be sure it is correctly trickle charged AND that the connections to the battery (the cable ends) are bright and shiny clean (wire brushed). If you are just now replacing a 16 year old battery--- you got your money's worth.

"sound an electric motor makes" = ????? Whirring? If it's whirring that means the starter is not engaging to the engine and that part of the starter is broken. If it's just clicking rather than whirring that usually means the battery is dead or the cables are so corroded that not enough current can pass down the cables to turn the starter.

This won't be fixed by a reboot.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

imperator
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by imperator »

I honestly have no idea how old the battery was i am technically atleast the 4th owner. This is the first time its been replaced to my knowledge. The battery was the OEM battery so it could very well be 16 years old. Its definitely not clicking i know the sound my bike makes when it clicks due a bum battery and its not this sound. And it doesnt sound like whirring. It sounds honestly like an RC car.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#4 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

The RC cars I've observed - whir.
You're gonna have to get hands dirty. Yours or a shop's.
But since the battery is an unknown, do that first. (Disconnect ground first and reconnect it last - in case you didn't know.)
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

imperator
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by imperator »

Thanks for the help. i put the battery through a trickle charger, its charged. Im gonna take out the starter ltr on and diagnose it. Thanks for the help