intruderfan
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 1995 suzuki intruder 800

1995suzuki intruder 800 electrical problem

#1 Unread post by intruderfan »

Hi all I just bought a intruder 800. I bought new battery for it and turned on key there was a clicking noise coming from user pass seat.I removed seat and found a little relay attached to the underneath of seat every time I turned key to on it clicked.I had headlight but no indicator lights and no action when trying to turn it over.l checked voltage at silenoid and it has 13 volts,on the pos post I then went to jump across the selinoid and the starter turned over.I turned key off and tried again nothing no lights or anything when I jumped selinoid again nothing there is still 13 vs at selinoid but it won't jump across turminals.all fuses,are good is there a circuit breaker or inline fuse somewhere I dont get it
And the little relay under seat doesn't click anymore
I checks,volts to fuse box there is volts,at the,two screws
Any ideas,please
Also I just checked voltage at pos term of selinoid to ground 13 volts as I turn on ign switch volts go to 0.0
Same if I check volts across fuse box volts go to 0.0 as I turn on ign switch
Please help
Thanks

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: 1995suzuki intruder 800 electrical problem

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

Electrical problems are the hardest to solve over the internet. Based on what you've posted, it sounds like the starter or another component may be shorted out or the starter relay is fried. The relay that clicks when you turn the key on is the main relay, there should be another one that clicks when you push the start button with the ignition on and the kill switch in the on position. As you've stated that all the fuses are good, I'm inclined to think that the problem lies within the starter motor circuit. The relays are usually co-located with the fuses, but not on all bikes, so the best way to locate the starter relay is to follow the big wire back from the starter. Disconnect and tape up the big wire from the relay, then turn the ignition on and see if you now have signal lights, etc. If yes, then the problem is likely a shorted starter, but you could try replacing the relay first.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

intruderfan
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by intruderfan »

Thanks for the info.what is,wiers is I have 12.8 v at starter relay and at first it jumped as I went across both post then nothing is it poss there is a 30 Amp fuse under seat somewhere blown ? I have nothing for power if so do you know where it is located
Also the thing with me checking voltage at pos post on st relay and as I turn key on it vanishes

intruderfan
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by intruderfan »

I have 13 volts going to key switch via the red/wht wire from fuse box when key is on.but when I turn key to on position voltage goes to 0.0 volts on red white wire and red wht wire.I checked continuity on orange wire from ignition key switch to fuse box.its good.so why when I turn on key switch to on voltage goes to zero?@fuse box and post relay post on st relay ??I tried jumpering acessories coming off fuse box headlamps tail lights and nothing happens.This is so frustrating
Also I did disconnect the starter motor black wire from selinoid and no difference also like I said previously when I jumper starter to 13 vols there is nothing not a click or anything

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#5 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I can't follow the description of troubleshooting (english not your first language?)but I've seen cars have the symptom that when the key is turned to Start, the relay clicks. Or everything goes out and nothing happens. This has often been corrosion on the battery terminal preventing current flow sufficient to turn the starter. Has also been a dead-flat battery with no capacity.

What does the battery voltage do when you push the start button? (just the battery, not terminals elsewhere, just the battery)

are you aware that their might be clutch, sidestand or neutral interlocks involved?
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

GS_in_CO wrote:are you aware that their might be clutch, sidestand or neutral interlocks involved?
Excellent point. Suzuki's require that the clutch lever be pulled in and the transmission in neutral before the bike will start.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

intruderfan
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by intruderfan »

The bike is in Neutral but when key is turned to on there is nothing,it use to have headlight on and a clicking noise clicking coming from under back seat.I took off seat and there is a small relay attached to under seat.along with a box on top of fender beneath seat.the only 12vs I have is at start relay pos post and fuse box and also going to key switch on red /wht wire,as I turn key switch to on all volts go to .0.0
No power to start switch or horn or lights on spedo.
Is there a circuit breaker or main (30) amp fuse anywhere on bike?All I have seen is the fuse box under left side cover ??

intruderfan
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by intruderfan »

Also the battery is new and terms clean and tight.
As I said no volts going to anywhere on controls only have 13 volts at start relay and fuse box on main red wires.when key turned to on nothing at aux fuses..
Starter did turn briefly at first,but I tried applying 12 volts again and nothing,no lights or anything.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#9 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I've got nothing more other than a suggestion of a service manual with wiring diagram. Seems like that will be needed.
There could be a fusible link in the wiring harness but without a diagram it's hard to be sure.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E