Blanket
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2011 Yamaha FZ8

Clutch lever has no slack

#1 Unread post by Blanket »

Not sure how this happened or what to do with it. The bike is a 2011 Yamaha FZ8 with about 12k miles on it. Rode it today fine, came home, clutch was acting funny in that it was feeling a bit sticky, not releasing fully. I messed around with the cable adjustment a bit, then eventually there was no slack on the clutch whatsoever. What did I do? :oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7Qbt- ... e=youtu.be

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Clutch lever has no slack

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Might be that the cable is broken in the middle somewhere. Can you see it move the clutch in and out on the engine? (other end of the cable)?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Blanket
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2011 Yamaha FZ8

#3 Unread post by Blanket »

Image Looks like you're right. After further investigation this just came right out. This is the clutch cable right? Is it expensive to fix, about how much, easy to do myself, or mechanic suggested?

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#4 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Replacing cables isn't too hard. YouTube is your friend as long as you get the right part. :)
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F