SBK15
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Fuel Lights...?

#1 Unread post by SBK15 »

Does anybody make Aftermarket Fuel Lights or Gauges for motorcycles that just have Reserve Tanks?

Is this even possible? :frusty:

Thanks!
-Lee
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by Skier »

I'm sure someone makes them. If not you can do it yourself.

My question is why bother? Your engine will let you know when you're low on gas and need to switch to reserve.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#3 Unread post by flynrider »

Agree with Skier. While there are sometimes good reasons to install backup or redundant systems, this is definitely not one of them. The petcock reserve setting is simple, reliable and darned near foolproof (as long as you reset it after using reserve).
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Been pushin' that Kaw? :lol:

This summer the spouse was pushing his Kaw, and I rode behind him to the gas station and laughed and laughed....

But then last month I didn't go to reserve in time and coasted my Kaw to the side while a buncha Harley guys laughed and laughed....

Putting the bike back to "on" at every fill-up gets to be a habit, after a little pushing. Still, if there was a way to simply mount a gauge I'd do it. Don't see how, though, without drilling and tapping a hole and then having to re-treat the tank. Hardly worth the trouble.
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

SBK15
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by SBK15 »

coffee_brake wrote:Been pushin' that Kaw? :lol:

This summer the spouse was pushing his Kaw, and I rode behind him to the gas station and laughed and laughed....

But then last month I didn't go to reserve in time and coasted my Kaw to the side while a buncha Harley guys laughed and laughed....

Putting the bike back to "on" at every fill-up gets to be a habit, after a little pushing. Still, if there was a way to simply mount a gauge I'd do it. Don't see how, though, without drilling and tapping a hole and then having to re-treat the tank. Hardly worth the trouble.
haha. actually i did push it..bad thing was it ran out only like 80 Ft. from the gas station :x ....and the gas station was up hill :(

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by JCS »

Reset your trip odometer to zero when you fill up. After a few tanks you will know how far you can go before hitting reserve.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Oooh...there was a Eliminator in the shop just the other day. That IS a little bitty tank, ain't it?

Oh well, the trade-off's worth it for that quick little beast, huh?
One ride on a big road-burning 7-gallon tank tourer like my Concours would show you the difference quick!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

SBK15
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by SBK15 »

I just cant wait to get a new bike...mine's starting to get a little boring
But It's still REALLY fun
80 MPG!!!!

beardking
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by beardking »

That first time you run out of gas in traffic is a bit perplexing, isn't it? Mine wouldn't have been so bad for me if I wasn't in the middle of a U-turn onto a busy Dallas street when the engine keeled over. At the time I was still getting used to my new bike and had just gotten the carbs cleaned and reset, so the I attributed the spitting and sputtering to that and didn't even think about gas. Luckily, I had enough momentum in the turn to get me into the parking lot of the gas station at that intersection. Took a while to unpucker enough to get off of the seat though. :laughing:
1999 Nighthawk 750