Swapping out a 250cc four stroke for a bigger two stroke.

tylerjbellows
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

Swapping out a 250cc four stroke for a bigger two stroke.

#1 Unread post by tylerjbellows »

I have a grey import Yamaha FZR 250 with a blown engine and access to a variety of two stroke engines. Parts for the FZR must come from Japan and would far exceed the value of the bike. Rather than wreck the bike, I would like to swap in a (larger) two stroke. Maybe a 500cc. Fabricating mounts, etc. should not be a problem.

Anyone done this kind of thing before? What do I have to look forward to?

Tyler

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by safety-boy »

Hi Tyler, welcome aboard!

No experience with that on my part. A 500cc 2-stroke is a real beast. Is it the Kawa engine (KX-500, I think)?

I imagine you will get some good info here, but if not you might check out The Horse - old school chopper mag. They do some cafe bikes sometimes, if memory serves. I guess ultimately welding and mounts are about the same on all bikes?

Good luck,
Dave
Don't think of it as a stop light. Think of it as a chance-to-show-off light.

Vulcan 900 Classic LT (2007)
Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)

crazypj
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by crazypj »

Making the exhaust fit from a MX bike is the really hard part. If you can nfind specs ( length, taper, etc) its a lot easier to make a new one than to modify .
You can get lighting coils from enduro version (or after market) to allow battery charging (probably have to change headlight bulbs for lower wattage)
PJ
I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it
There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't