CB360 cafe project/tire questions

xci.ed6
Rookie
Rookie

CB360 cafe project/tire questions

#1 Unread post by xci.ed6 »

1975 CB360T. I rebuilt the engine last spring and did most of this over winter. The seat is from ebay, rear-sets are from a 96 ninja 600, vintage set of clips-ons. I'm waiting on some random bits and tires and should be good to go. Things like hardware, a brake lever from a drum brake bike, and coils.

On the tires, I would like to go with a 110/90 front and 130/80 or 90 rear. Anyone know if they will fit? I'm kinda worried about my chain clearance.
Last edited by xci.ed6 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by slimcolo »

They will most likely clear, but I have seen same size tyres in different brands vary as much as 1/2 inch (13mm) in width. Actually shouldn't have problem w/the 110 on front unless it rubs fender, you can get 90/90 ratio. Also the 130 may be to wide for rear, what size rims?

Also cross ref size to imperial as many classic bike tyres come in the late 20th century type sizing designation (IE early 20th century sizing 27X4.00X19, late 20th 4.00H19) Also keep in mind that there are three more ways of sizing Alpha Numeric, old Metric and new Metric. (a 130/80 in old metric is a MN in alpha or a 110/100 in new metric)

Early 20th century is only used for antique replacement tyres like Coker.

Late 20th and is still used on many tyres

Most imperial sized tyres DO NOT give an aspect ratio and many are 100%

Old metric is still used but mainly for vintage bikes both street and dirt

Alpha is often used but still not as common as the new metric. (some tyres will also list sizes on sidewall in more than one of these formats)
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

xci.ed6
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by xci.ed6 »

Damn, I'm in trouble.

The wheels are stock size (3/3.5 IIRC). Front clearance is no problem, no fender. Rear, I guess I'll go on the safe side. When I burn up the first set, I'll order a wider one if the other had space.

corey
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by corey »

rear sets from a ninja huh? nice! have any pics? how well did they mount up?
beat it to fit, paint it to match

xci.ed6
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by xci.ed6 »

Well, I just cut the rear peg braces off the frame and welded on a couple brackets I made. So it wasn't really difficult at all.

Made more progress.

And I'm helping a friend on a new project.

crazypj
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by crazypj »

I've fitted wider rims and am only using 90/90 front and a 110/80 rear.
Anything wider and tyre 'balloons' so you get less tread on the road ( the width goes into height)
PJ
I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it
There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

redcoat
Veteran
Veteran

period bike, period tyres?

#7 Unread post by redcoat »

Hey,

I had two of those bikes and loved them, but worked them to death. Neat project you have there. Have you considered period type tyres? I presently use duro tyres (cause I'm tight fisted) which have a very square section and block like treads. They look pretty good- very 1950's style, and for pulling a side car are fine. Don't know if they would be correct for your machine- depends on if you're going for style or performance. You seem like the sort who might give me some feedback on my project- look at the 50 50 honda post
Justin

redcoat
Veteran
Veteran

where'd you get the shocks?

#8 Unread post by redcoat »

I just ought a cb350 on Sunday. I bought shocks that look like yours from old bike barn for my 400 (clevis to clevis). I notice your bike and my new to me 350 have eye to clevis mounts. Where did you get yours from?

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#9 Unread post by NorthernPete »

If anyone could answer your question, itd be mysta.

check his blog and PM him..

viewtopic.php?t=5844
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F