Do's & Dont's Of What to do if in an accident...

MotorcycleLawyers
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Do's & Dont's Of What to do if in an accident...

#1 Unread post by MotorcycleLawyers »

We wrote this article the other day, and I thought this would be a good place to share:

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (“NHTSA”) reported that nearly 4,800 people died and 87,000 people were injured in motorcycle accidents in 2006. While we hope you are never involved in a motorcycle accident, knowing what to do, and what not to do, after an accident occurs is important to every motorcyclist.
The Motorcycle Accident Lawyers have more than 20 years of riding experience.

Do’s
Document the accident scene- If you cannot return to the accident scene to take pictures for yourself or analyze the bike, have a friend or a loved one do that for you. Professional photos are not required, but it’s important to document the scene as soon as possible.
Hire an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer- It’s a good idea to hire an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. Having a professional working on your behalf is critical to a successful recovery for your injuries, pain, and suffering.

Don’ts
Don’t be in a hurry to talk to the other driver’s insurance company- There is no reason for you to be in a rush to tell your story. Under no circumstances should you try to relay the facts of the collision if you’re on pain medication. Generally, the better practice is to allow your lawyer to handle all communication with the driver’s insurance company.
Insurance investigators and representatives are well trained. Their job is to help the insurance company, so don’t be in a rush to talk to them.
Don’t be in a rush to fix your bike until you can document the damage- We know it's tough to have a broken bike if you yourself is not injured, but you are entitled to compensation for your property damage. Don’t settle your claim before a comprehensive examination of your motorcycle has been performed.
[url]http://www.motorcycleaccidentlawyers.org[/url]

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

You forgot one very important item:

Do not sign anything from either your or the other parties insurance provider until you have had it vetted either by a lawyer, or you have carefully read it with a clear and unclouded mind. If anything sound odds or strange to you, question it but do not sign until everything has been explained to you in clear plain English, or whatever language you speak. Always demand clarification,and ask what are All the ramifications of signing.

Insurance companies are out to make profits, and payout claims eat into their profits. So they will and do try to minimize their payouts to you by getting you to sign away your right for damages. It's nothing personal, its just business.
Always ask why.

MotorcycleLawyers
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by MotorcycleLawyers »

ceemes wrote:You forgot one very important item:

Do not sign anything from either your or the other parties insurance provider until you have had it vetted either by a lawyer, or you have carefully read it with a clear and unclouded mind. If anything sound odds or strange to you, question it but do not sign until everything has been explained to you in clear plain English, or whatever language you speak. Always demand clarification,and ask what are All the ramifications of signing.

Insurance companies are out to make profits, and payout claims eat into their profits. So they will and do try to minimize their payouts to you by getting you to sign away your right for damages. It's nothing personal, its just business.
Very good point. NEVER sign anything.
[url]http://www.motorcycleaccidentlawyers.org[/url]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The only thing I signed was my statement. Fair enough...it was my story.

When the insurerer wanted me to sign foe a 1200.00 cheque, I got a lawyer instead.
The best part of having a lawyer is that I don't actually have to talk to the insurer anymore.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

blues2cruise wrote:The only thing I signed was my statement. Fair enough...it was my story.

When the insurerer wanted me to sign foe a 1200.00 cheque, I got a lawyer instead.
The best part of having a lawyer is that I don't actually have to talk to the insurer anymore.
Been there, done that.....ICBC sent a rep to my hospital bed while I was still doped up on morphine.....going on about how I was at least 60% at fault, even though the guy who hit me got ticketed for undue care and attention, running a red light, speeding and causing bodily injury. But he was going to be a nice guy he said, just sign here and they would cut me a cheque for C$10,000.....about that time my soon to be new lawyer walked in for our first meeting and tore him a new one. I hired the guy on the spot.
Always ask why.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Sending a rep in to talk to you while you are not lucid is so low.
In another week, it will be a year since my crash. I still cannot go back to my old job. Although this practice retirement is good, I'm sick of being in limbo.
I am starting to see if I can find some other line of work so I can get my life back together and get all the "interested parties" out of my life.

I guess my first step is to make a new resume. I haven't needed one of those for years.