purplellama
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: yamaha xs650

minimum battery amp hours

#1 Unread post by purplellama »

i have a 1982 yamaha xs650, heavily modded, kickstart only. it came with a tiny battery the size of a deck of cards. you turn the bike on to start it, and this battery has just enough juice power it up to start. in theory. in reality i think it's not quite enough. i've always had difficulty kicking it over, but if i jump it, it starts right up.

i don't have space with the current configuration for a typical battery, which is why the previous owner used this one, which fits in a hollow under the seat. the battery is rated at 12 volts/0.8 amp hours.

two questions.

1 - i'm wondering if anyone knows of similar small battery that would work in this application.
2 - can anyone recommend a minimum amp hour rating? would a higher rating solve my starting problem.

any help would be hugely appreciated.

thanks.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: minimum battery amp hours

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Yes a bigger battery would help.

1.No I don't even know if anyone makes one. I'd check manufacturers online. But in that size your not going to gain much in amp-hours.
2.A stock 82 XS650 uses a much larger (134mm*89mm*166mm) battery.

BTW welcome to the forum. Lets see a picture of your bike.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

purplellama
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: yamaha xs650

Re: minimum battery amp hours

#3 Unread post by purplellama »

thanks. here's a pic
Attachments
03.JPG
03.JPG (65.01 KiB) Viewed 8588 times