1996 Honda Nighthawk upgrades?

jasonstevens21
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda 750 Nighthawk

1996 Honda Nighthawk upgrades?

#1 Unread post by jasonstevens21 »

Just got my first street bike. Im 34. Been riding dirt bikes and quads for 30 yrs.

Did some research before finally settling on the Nighthawk for my first bike..

Hopefully I choose well?

After a couple hours of riding. Heres what Id like to change

1. Dropping RPMS and cruising at a faster speed.
Gearing to me seems off. Seems all get up and go.. No highway. However maybe I have nothing to compare it to it just seems over-revved on the highway

I was cruising at 4500-5000 RPM any more seems like im up there too high and the noise is just too much (Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust)

What can I do here? Bigger rear Sprocket? Anything?

2. Seat comfort. I need way more padding!!! Im not a big guy at all 175lb but my "O Ring" hurt like hell after a 2 hour ride.....

Are there any good power increases? Carbs? Engine work? Airflow work?

Did I do good for the money ? 3000.00 Its in showroom condition, 12k miles
Attachments
11828608_10153528262548126_1059654256793616708_n.jpg

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: 1996 Honda Nighthawk upgrades?

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hey Jason and welcome to the forum. You've picked a good bike there, and should get many miles of trouble free riding. Now for the questions.
1) You might be able to get a taller tire or less teeth on the rear sprocket. Those bike were made to rev, what's it redline at anyway?
2) Gel pads.
Of cour$e a$ long a$ you have the money, there are ways to increase the power.
It would be hard to be hurt with a Nighthawk. It's just about the perfect UJM from the ninetys.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

jasonstevens21
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda 750 Nighthawk

#3 Unread post by jasonstevens21 »

Johnj wrote:Hey Jason and welcome to the forum. You've picked a good bike there, and should get many miles of trouble free riding. Now for the questions.
1) You might be able to get a taller tire or less teeth on the rear sprocket. Those bike were made to rev, what's it redline at anyway?
2) Gel pads.
Of cour$e a$ long a$ you have the money, there are ways to increase the power.
It would be hard to be hurt with a Nighthawk. It's just about the perfect UJM from the ninetys.

Thanks John!

Trailer tire? What will the size do? Whats the difference in that and a bike tire? A smaller back sprocket wouldnt spin at higher rpm? I thought youd want a bigger one to slow the RPM and increase overall speed?

Gel pads for the bike or my butt? LOL or " O Ring" Thats a good one! Links to where Id find those?

Redline is 9k. does that really mean I can run at 8k and its going to be fine?

My cousin is giving me crap about the windshield.. He says take it off.. But I like to lean down sometimes and feel sheltered from the wind. Maybe just another newbie part in me ?
Feels like I create less drag that way

I see links to a website nighthawk750.com but that site is no longer around and it looked like it was a good one for upgrades and performance mods.. Anything else like it?

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

A taller tire like 5ft 9in vrs 6ft 10in.
When you increase the number of teeth on the rear sprocket you get quicker acceleration but lose top speed.
Google is you friend.
70mph is what 5k or less.
I would tell my cousin when he owns the bike he can make the decisions. :group:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.