Suzuki C50 oil filter removal

tropicalhotdog
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

Suzuki C50 oil filter removal

#1 Unread post by tropicalhotdog »

So today is my first attempt at changing the oil and filter on the C50 I bought last season, after having it winterized for the past three months. Niether the dealership nor the Autozone carry the oil filter wrench that fits the C50's filter, so I picked up a standard strap wrench. Because of the placement of the filter, there doesn't seem to be any way to get the strap wrench around it. It's positioned just above a lateral part of the frame, killing access.

Anyone have any tips on removal and replacement of the C50's filter without the specific wrench? I ordered one (not easy to find) but it won't be here for a week and I want to ride my damn bike!
2007 Suzuki C50T
2006 Vespa LX150
2000 Honda Rebel

Rainman
Rookie
Rookie

#2 Unread post by Rainman »

I use a oil filter cap wrench, with a 3/8 swivel connected to a extension and then the ratchet.

Be very careful that you remove the old gasket before installing the new filter..It likes to stick on the block and cause problems for the new filter!!!

SHADOW1100T
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by SHADOW1100T »

There's a sure fire way to get a filter off, it's messy but it works, drive a screwdriver all the way through it and brake it loose, have something to catch the oil, as soon as yo pop it it's gonna leak and will continue to do so, like i said, it's messy but it works.
Ted

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

Re: Suzuki C50 oil filter removal

#4 Unread post by JC Viper »

tropicalhotdog wrote:So today is my first attempt at changing the oil and filter on the C50 I bought last season, after having it winterized for the past three months. Niether the dealership nor the Autozone carry the oil filter wrench that fits the C50's filter, so I picked up a standard strap wrench. Because of the placement of the filter, there doesn't seem to be any way to get the strap wrench around it. It's positioned just above a lateral part of the frame, killing access.

Anyone have any tips on removal and replacement of the C50's filter without the specific wrench? I ordered one (not easy to find) but it won't be here for a week and I want to ride my damn bike!
Does your basic Suzuki manual tell you what you need and how to do it?
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

FlyinRegie
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2000/Suzuki/SV650s

#5 Unread post by FlyinRegie »

When I change oil, I screw up the filter using hand, tightening firmly but not using maximum power. I check it for leakage after the first riding after change. That way next time I don't need any special tools to unscrew the thing.
Carburetted :)
'00 Suzuki SV650s

SBK15
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

#6 Unread post by SBK15 »

FlyinRegie wrote:When I change oil, I screw up the filter using hand, tightening firmly but not using maximum power. I check it for leakage after the first riding after change. That way next time I don't need any special tools to unscrew the thing.
And you've never had any leaks or problems??
-2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Current Ride
-2007 Suzuki DR650 - Sold
-2007 Kawasaki Eliminator - Sold

SHADOW1100T
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by SHADOW1100T »

I snug mine and then give it a 1/8 turn, no reason to give it any more, there's only low pressure and a LOT of sealing surface on the rubber O ring.
Ted

blackmouth
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by blackmouth »

When i owned a C50, I didn't use the Suzuki filter wrench.
I bought one for the filter size at my local Autozone.
If you don't have an Autozone in your area, most any decent auto parts/supply store would do.
The filter wrench was cheaper than the Suzuki one AND you can get it without waiting.

The filter always came off with the wrench with ZERO problems.
Best $2 I ever spent on that C50.

Check out your local auto store.
http://www.LonestarMotorcycleAlliance.com/

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by jonnythan »

My bike has one of the filters that's just the element. You have to remove a cover on the side of the engine, insert it, then bolt the cover back on.

But my car, of course, has a screw-on. When attaching a screw-on, you lubricate the gasket with some oil, then you should screw it down until the gasket touches the sealing surface, then turn another 1/2 - 3/4 turn. That's all. If you stick to this it'll probably be looser than you're used to, but it will stay and it will seal.

You should never use a filter wrench to INSTALL a filter. If you install it properly, you should never need one to remove the filter either.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Bartt Rice
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by Bartt Rice »

May I suggest the K&N Oil Filter?
The K&N Oil Filters have a hex head on the top of the filter where you can use a std wrench.