Faired vs Naked - what is the reality with wind

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#21 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

mazer wrote:For me - I prefer the fairing. Bracing against the wind just fatigues my muscles too much on the longer rides.
Fatigue is bad - my minimum ride is usually 1hr 10 minutes - with a mix of high speeds and stop and go traffic.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#22 Unread post by JC Viper »

I'd rather have a naked bike and add a windscreen/ flyscreen to it. Insurance is the biggest factor for me and those little plastic fairing parts cost money to insure. Besides I've ridden on naked/ standards and faired bikes and found both were pretty much the same ride to me and much better than a cruiser.

If not a naked then a half-fairing bike would do... not much of those around are there.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#23 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

JC Viper wrote:I'd rather have a naked bike and add a windscreen/ flyscreen to it. Insurance is the biggest factor for me and those little plastic fairing parts cost money to insure. Besides I've ridden on naked/ standards and faired bikes and found both were pretty much the same ride to me and much better than a cruiser.

If not a naked then a half-fairing bike would do... not much of those around are there.
Can you add a windscreen to all naked bikes?

There is the Suzuki Bandit. Also there are sme earleir than 2009 sv650s with half-fairong.

Ahhhh. I am so confused about what I want.

As much as I like the way. 600cc sport bikes look - my wife is against me getting one.

If I'm interested insafety... I need tob get a bike with ABS... but that linits the number of bikes to choose from,

RhadamYgg

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#24 Unread post by flynrider »

RhadamYgg wrote: Can you add a windscreen to all naked bikes?
Just about. I've used National Cycles screens on just about all of my bikes (all naked) for the past few decades. They make windshields for just about everything.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#25 Unread post by JC Viper »

RhadamYgg wrote:
JC Viper wrote:I'd rather have a naked bike and add a windscreen/ flyscreen to it. Insurance is the biggest factor for me and those little plastic fairing parts cost money to insure. Besides I've ridden on naked/ standards and faired bikes and found both were pretty much the same ride to me and much better than a cruiser.

Can you add a windscreen to all naked bikes?

There is the Suzuki Bandit. Also there are sme earleir than 2009 sv650s with half-fairong.

Ahhhh. I am so confused about what I want.

As much as I like the way. 600cc sport bikes look - my wife is against me getting one.

If I'm interested insafety... I need tob get a bike with ABS... but that linits the number of bikes to choose from,

RhadamYgg
They have smaller windscreens for naked bikes and screen lips to add a little more protection on the stock windscreen. Those were popular on the Kawasaki ZRX1200 (I miss those bikes).

More bikes will have ABS as an option as what is happening in Europe, just gotta wait a bit is all. Or you can get yourself a Suzuki Bandit or V-Strom with ABS or the BMW F650/ 800 which has a switchable ABS.

Some grip warmers for those pesky chilly rides.

http://www.symtec-inc.com/Products/Moto ... fault.aspx
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#26 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I have a buell xb12ss and have had the bike for 2 years and 15K miles and never a dull moment.There is virtually no difference in the backroads the higway ya but I see you also live in NJ and riding highways will probably not be much fun in either
there aint nothin like it

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#27 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

BRUMBEAR wrote:I have a buell xb12ss and have had the bike for 2 years and 15K miles and never a dull moment.There is virtually no difference in the backroads the higway ya but I see you also live in NJ and riding highways will probably not be much fun in either
I have looked at some Buells. The new one - the CR or something - looks so weird that I actually really like it.

But I like the B-King too, go figure...

RhadamYgg

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#28 Unread post by JC Viper »

RhadamYgg wrote:
BRUMBEAR wrote:I have a buell xb12ss and have had the bike for 2 years and 15K miles and never a dull moment.There is virtually no difference in the backroads the higway ya but I see you also live in NJ and riding highways will probably not be much fun in either
I have looked at some Buells. The new one - the CR or something - looks so weird that I actually really like it.

RhadamYgg
Buell improved the engine a bit from the 1125R making the 1125CR (Cafe Racer) more refined. So far there are a lot of good reviews on it but it'll be expensive given that it's a Buell (it's priced close to the B-King but any bike above $10k is expensive to me).

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#29 Unread post by shane-o »

RhadamYgg wrote:

RhadamYgg

If ya gunna buy a buell, why dont ya just buy a decent "ride on lawn mower" remove 2 wheels that are diagonal to each other, and ride that, it would be just as good, but with the added bonus you could mow ya lawns to when ya needed.

get the B King ;), now thats a krazy lookin bike, If memory serves, it has a detuned busa plant in it, and prolly wouldnt cost ya much more than the tractor for ploughing paddocks that is the Buell :)

Have ya looked at the Sv1000s, SuperHawk, Vmax, Hornet, Bandit, kwaka 1000z etc etc all good non/semi faired bikes

hope that helps

Shane
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

Good2bking
Rookie
Rookie

#30 Unread post by Good2bking »

I ride a B-King and the only time the wind really gets unsettling is above 100 or so. I rarely do that but every once in awhile it's nice to see what the thing is capable of. Also, my riding jacket is a combo textile/leather and if I don't have the zippers in the front and back open the thing acts like a parachute, lol...