Faired vs Naked - what is the reality with wind

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#11 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

storysunfolding wrote:If it's your main bike consider that the 919 is setup more for performance- which means more maintenance. Personally, I find the interceptor to be the superior bike for reasons well beyond faired/unfaired. Higher reliability, less maintenance, wicked sweet swing arm, better body positioning allowing all day riding, one of the smoothest motors ever, better parts availability and a huge owner support group
That swing arm is really cool, isn't it. :)

Since I intend to put lots of miles on the bike - reliability lower maintenance is important.

I do wonder how you tighten the drive chain with only one side on the swing arm - potentially, I think that could be much easier.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#12 Unread post by storysunfolding »

RhadamYgg wrote: I do wonder how you tighten the drive chain with only one side on the swing arm - potentially, I think that could be much easier.

RhadamYgg
It's not hard. There's a special tool in the toolkit. If anything it's easier than a double sided swingarm. Granted the one I was shown on had a centerstand and I can't recall if that's stock or not.

I wish they didn't cost an arm and a leg or I'd own one.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#13 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

storysunfolding wrote:
RhadamYgg wrote: I do wonder how you tighten the drive chain with only one side on the swing arm - potentially, I think that could be much easier.

RhadamYgg
It's not hard. There's a special tool in the toolkit. If anything it's easier than a double sided swingarm. Granted the one I was shown on had a centerstand and I can't recall if that's stock or not.

I wish they didn't cost an arm and a leg or I'd own one.
Jeez man, with all the bikes you have I'm sure if you sold them *all* you'd be able to pay for most of an Interceptor - and you'd have more room in your garage.

Of course, I'd probably have more than one bike if I actually had room for it - which means I wouldn't be able to afford the Interceptor either.

Still not sure I can afford it.

But I might be a doofus and buy one anyway.

RhadamYgg

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#14 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Decent prices used. Would never buy a new one.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#15 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

storysunfolding wrote:Decent prices used. Would never buy a new one.
That's true. But I need to finance - and it is cheaper to finance with new on Honda credit - 6.9% for 60 months or 3.99% for 36 months - and the whole 0/0/0 deal.

Of course when I look for used I start drooling over CBR1000XX Blackbirds... But it actually looks like the Interceptor would be a better bike for me. I mean its nice that the Blackbirds were the fastest production bikes for a while, but I'm not terribly interested in that.

RhadamYgg

mazer
Elite
Elite

#16 Unread post by mazer »

For me - I prefer the fairing. Bracing against the wind just fatigues my muscles too much on the longer rides.

WQFTruckster
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by WQFTruckster »

Brackstone wrote: But the chill only really bothers me in my hands well my fingers to be precise, I find my jacket and pants to always be sufficient.

My Solution? I went out and bought some hand guards for my Shiver.

The wind was scary at the beginning but I just pushed through it and got over my fears. Now I think being Naked is awesome IMO. I love feeling the wind push against me as I travel at high speeds. Plus it keeps me safe because everything feels that much faster. When I'm on the Highway doing 75 I really don't feel like changing lanes or making any "Aggressive" moves.
For cold hands, a cheap set of electric grip heaters work wonders. $25 and maybe an hour to install yourself. Alternatively electric gloves, although a bit more pricey, you get the benefit of having the backside of your hand heated as well as the palm.

As for naked vs faired, I have always had a soft spot for naked bikes. Repli-racers are everywhere. It's nice to stand out from the crowd a bit. For racking up interstate miles, I would gladly take the fairing and a decent windshield. Constant high speeds and battling turbulent air from semi trucks gets old real quick. But on the highway, I love the feeling of riding in clean air. If you don't spend most of your time at triple digit speeds, naked bikes can be a blast.
2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X

www.adventuremotorcycleblog.net | www.motorcycleheadlightblog.com

TorontoBoy
Elite
Elite

#18 Unread post by TorontoBoy »

Naked bikes are great if at any time you wish for them to lay down and take a nap. There are less plastic pieces to clean up. For a first bike I'd certainly say naked. For the second, whatever bike you want. I think you can get frame sliders and other bolt-on pieces of metal to protect your precious tupperware.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#19 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

TorontoBoy wrote:Naked bikes are great if at any time you wish for them to lay down and take a nap. There are less plastic pieces to clean up. For a first bike I'd certainly say naked. For the second, whatever bike you want. I think you can get frame sliders and other bolt-on pieces of metal to protect your precious tupperware.
I have to admit - there are some naked bikes I like - and not just for the less plastic - but the lower cost of buying a new bike. I'd rather the extra few hundred toward ABS than plastic.

But at the same token, I like the cold weather riding - bah, I'll have to test ride a naked (if possible) and understand what I like or don't like about them.

RhadamYgg

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

Re: Faired vs Naked - what is the reality with wind

#20 Unread post by shane-o »

RhadamYgg wrote:So, as I indicated in a couple of posts I sat on a few bikes.

The best for me position wise was a Honda 919. The best everything else wise and almost as good was the Interceptor - except for price.

919 has no fairing at all. The Interceptor is fully faired.

In the beginning of riding - I had issues with wind - now - not so much.

So, for practicality - anyone ridden similar bikes faired/non-faired and can state as objectively as possible - how much more significant is the wind?

RhadamYgg

Ive owned faired and non faired sporties, cruiser dont count cause they dont go much over 60 do they ??????

anyhoooo, my thoughts are, the unfaired on a calm day ist gut, but, on a head or head/cross wind will take some wrestling, I was just never able to sit and relax on the unfaired, but, I loved it and got used to it.

The faired is much easier to handle, chuck a double bubble on it, and ya can just sit there like as if the bike isnt moving, and as someone already pointed out, nasty full cross winds on a faired bike can take a lot of steering corrections to navigate through.

Also, as mentioned, i did find I got colder quicker on the unfaired, but again, i threw a double bubble on it, and that made a 70% diff to the positive in both wind drag and temp.

If the bike I wanted was unfaired, that would not stop me from buying it, it also seems to be the trend these days, sporties completely unfaired even to the point of no wind screen.

Oh and one more thing, no faired bikes will eat more petrol !!!!!!!

lots of love

Shane-o

[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]