Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#41 Unread post by Brackstone »

RhadamYgg wrote:Interesting.

I am probably going to get a B-King - found one - non-ABS - for $8500 new.

Apparently, they didn't sell well and people think they are ugly. To me, this is an opportunity to have a unique bike. I sat on it last night and it is huge... Especially that gas tank, but I don't go triple digit speeds, so it not having a fairing or windscreen shouldn't be too horrible.

I do wonder how I'll do with low-speed maneuvers, though. I guess I'll have to practice a lot.

RhadamYgg
Good luck with the buy! I saw the B-King and I thought it was pretty cool looking, the guy at the dealership kept saying "That's Suzuki's Shiver!" wanted me to get on it and ride it.

Personally I think 1300cc 4-cylinder is too much for me. Plus I wouldn't even want to think about the insurance!

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes! :)
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#42 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Brackstone wrote:

Apparently, they didn't sell well and people think they are ugly. To me, this is an opportunity to have a unique bike. I sat on it last night and it is huge... Especially that gas tank, but I don't go triple digit speeds, so it not having a fairing or windscreen shouldn't be too horrible.

I do wonder how I'll do with low-speed maneuvers, though. I guess I'll have to practice a lot.

RhadamYgg
Good luck with the buy! I saw the B-King and I thought it was pretty cool looking, the guy at the dealership kept saying "That's Suzuki's Shiver!" wanted me to get on it and ride it.

Personally I think 1300cc 4-cylinder is too much for me. Plus I wouldn't even want to think about the insurance!

Frankly, without riding it - I won't really know what kind of bike it is until I actually own it, have it in my garage and have it insured.

There is; however, a nice saving grace on the B-King. It has an 'A' mode and a 'B' mode. The 'B' mode probably stands for beginner and is made fun of in every article I read about the bike... And I will probably use it exclusively until I hit my comfort level with the bike.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#43 Unread post by Brackstone »

RhadamYgg wrote: Frankly, without riding it - I won't really know what kind of bike it is until I actually own it, have it in my garage and have it insured.

There is; however, a nice saving grace on the B-King. It has an 'A' mode and a 'B' mode. The 'B' mode probably stands for beginner and is made fun of in every article I read about the bike... And I will probably use it exclusively until I hit my comfort level with the bike.

RhadamYgg
If it's got ride by wire then it may be simply that it slows the inputs. So that when you turn your wrist really quick it'll still act like you turned it really smooth. This is what happens in "Rain Mode" on my bike.

If it's not then I wonder what it does.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#44 Unread post by JC Viper »

RhadamYgg wrote:
Brackstone wrote:

RhadamYgg

Frankly, without riding it - I won't really know what kind of bike it is until I actually own it, have it in my garage and have it insured.

RhadamYgg
Have you given any thought on the Aprilia Mana? It may not have a clutch but you can still foot shift and it has a rain mode to prevent wet weather mishaps.

Also... no ABS for you? Oh and there's the Honda VFR 800 with ABS.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

TEvo
Veteran
Veteran

#45 Unread post by TEvo »

S-DMS on the B-King is derived from the system available on the GSX-R.

On the GSX-R line, if memory serves, the S-DMS switch allows selection of a normal (full power) fuel map, an intermediate map (reduced low and midrange with top end unaffected) and a neutered map (reduced power everywhere). On the B-King, there are only two modes the normal full power map and a reduce power map.

I don't believe any of the Suzuki's utilize throttle-by-wire like some Aprilia's or the recent model Yamaha YZF-R-series. Throttle response and engine output is altered purely based on the useage of alternative fuel maps.

Since the B-King motor is derived from the Hayabusa, albeit tuned more for midrange, even at the least aggressive map, you still have power equivalent to a 600cc supersport, probably with more grunt.

Respect the bike and scale the learning curve gradually. Also, the bike is somewhat portly by modern supersport standards and the extra heft will probably be apparent when straddling the bike and executing low speed manuevers. Although, I suspect the wide, standard-esque handlebars with its greater leverage will mitigate this to a certain extent.
Two Big Jugs or Four Small Cups. Life's Good.
`08 CBR1000RR "Ayane" - the Shinkansen
`07 S4Rs "Persephone" - urban Monster
`00 SV650 "Ayame" - trackday special

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#46 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

JC Viper wrote:
RhadamYgg wrote:
Brackstone wrote:

RhadamYgg

RhadamYgg
Have you given any thought on the Aprilia Mana? It may not have a clutch but you can still foot shift and it has a rain mode to prevent wet weather mishaps.

Also... no ABS for you? Oh and there's the Honda VFR 800 with ABS.
I wanted ABS, they had an ABS model listed on their site, but in reality it wasn't there.:(

I can't seem to find a resonably >10K Honda Interceptor with ABS for sale.

And once I have the B-King, I'm done. Reports of my death will come to the website if I even look at another bike - wife will kill me in the most painful way possible.

And that's part of the reason I'm going for the B-King. If I get a mid-level bike now... That would be it for like forever.

If it turns out to be too much bike for me, though, that's going to be problems. Hopefully, I won't end up with two bikes listed on ebay at the same time...

RhadamYgg

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#47 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

TEvo wrote:S-DMS on the B-King is derived from the system available on the GSX-R.

On the GSX-R line, if memory serves, the S-DMS switch allows selection of a normal (full power) fuel map, an intermediate map (reduced low and midrange with top end unaffected) and a neutered map (reduced power everywhere). On the B-King, there are only two modes the normal full power map and a reduce power map.

I don't believe any of the Suzuki's utilize throttle-by-wire like some Aprilia's or the recent model Yamaha YZF-R-series. Throttle response and engine output is altered purely based on the useage of alternative fuel maps.

Since the B-King motor is derived from the Hayabusa, albeit tuned more for midrange, even at the least aggressive map, you still have power equivalent to a 600cc supersport, probably with more grunt.

Respect the bike and scale the learning curve gradually. Also, the bike is somewhat portly by modern supersport standards and the extra heft will probably be apparent when straddling the bike and executing low speed manuevers. Although, I suspect the wide, standard-esque handlebars with its greater leverage will mitigate this to a certain extent.
Thanks for the info, TEvo. I was thinking about picking it up and riding the 65 miles home, but in the end, it will be delivered. I felt there would be too much risk on a new bike, that is completely different than my current bike + night time + freezing my "O Ring" off even in full gear with layers.

Maybe I'll be able to get it delivered next week.

I'm not sure how different the tuning is for the B-King. We'll find out. Oh yeah, I won't - I've never ridden a Hayabusa.

RhadamYgg

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#48 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I hope the wife lets you upgrade the exhaust!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#49 Unread post by jstark47 »

Rhadam- I haven't looked at this thread in a few days, I guess. You actually pulled the trigger and bought the BKing? :eek: Doood- that's a seriously fugly bike, heh, heh.... there's one in our local dealership, sitting there and exuding fugliness all over the place!!

Watcha going to do with a bike that's 5 times as powerful as the Ninjette?? 90mph wheelies in first gear down the Garden State???!!!!! :mrgreen:

Gonna keep the Ninjette for Mrs. Rhadam??
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#50 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

storysunfolding wrote:I hope the wife lets you upgrade the exhaust!
Actually, I'm a huuuuuuuge anime/manga fan and the outsize proportions and the exhaust - I actually like.

BTW, your avatar - what movie is that from? I'd love to combine my interest in anime/manga with my interest in motorcycling. And yes, I do like Akira a whole lot.

RhadamYgg