CREDIT CRISIS POLL: Will motorcycle sales be hurt?

Motorcycle sales will increase
11%
Motorcycle sales will stay the same
No votes
Motorcycle sales will slow down but not as much as car sales
44%
Motorcycle sales will be affected the same as car sales
22%
Motorcycle sales will hurt more than car sales
22%

Total votes: 18

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Q. Will motorcycle sales be hurt?. GM, Chrysler, Ford, Honda and Toyota (amoung many others) car sales have dropped significantly in 2008 and are not expected to recover anytime soon. Do you thinkmotorcycle sales be hurt as much, not at all or slowing car sales will actually help increase motorcycle sales?

With the world now in credit crisis mode, the stock markets bearish and oil and gas prices uncertain as jobs what will the future hold? I thought it would be interesting to have a poll based on your current thoughts and plans for the future.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Mike
Last edited by totalmotorcycle on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This is a quite interesting question as I believe motorcycle sales will increase due to their fuel efficient nature, low insurance costs, low maintainance costs and lower cost to purchase. Even with gear thrown into the price, a rider will save a lot of money using a motorcycle more often than driving a car. Owning a motorcycle over a car will save even more.

But this all depends of course on finance. Used motorcycle sales should increase much greater than new motorcycle sales IMO as money tightens.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#3 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

there was no option of being affected the same
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Tennif Shoe wrote:there was no option of being affected the same
Good point. I've added that option to the poll. :)

Mike

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#5 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

:soapbox: :aaarggh: :wtf: I want to revote,--------------- note to self there is no emoticon for crying :lolsign:
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Tennif Shoe wrote::soapbox: :aaarggh: :wtf: I want to revote,--------------- note to self there is no emoticon for crying :lolsign:

Mike quickly steps in and says, here you go:

:cry:

Merry Christmas

:sleigh:

Mike

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#7 Unread post by flynrider »

Historically, motorcycle sales have suffered during an economic slowdown, at least in the U.S. Bikes are considered to be more like recreational items here.

I bought my first bike during the last major economic crunch in 1980 when fuel prices were also pushing record highs. The difference back then was that interest rates were hovering around 20% (for folks with good credit), but the results were similar to what we're seeing today. A tight credit market tends to negatively affect motorcycle sales. I remember in the early 80s when you could walk into a dealer and find two and three year old models still on the showroom floor.

I agree that motorcycles tend to be a better deal with regards to fuel and insurance costs, but the opposite side of coin is that most people are not going to have a motorcycle as their sole mode of transportation. Given that, it becomes more difficult to own and maintain both a cage and a motorcycle in tough economic times.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

Sales are suffering right now. USA sales results were in the January 09 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News which came yesterday. BMW, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Honda, KTM, Piaggio (Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, etc), Suzuki, and Triumph are down in the USA in 2008. Buell, Kawasaki, Victory, and Yamaha were up. Grand total across all manufacturers is a 6% drop from 2007 in the USA.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#9 Unread post by sv-wolf »

I voted that bikes will suffer more than cars, on the grounds that for many people they are optional extras, but there is no way of telling really.

Car sales boomed right the way through the Great Crash of the 1930s and power consumption went through the roof. Explain that!

I don't know a lot about this (does anybody?), but I do know that some parts of the economy do very well out of a recession and it's not always easy to predict which sectors will be affected.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog